Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. I've been working on an install which has needed quite a few scripts (some completely new and some updates of ones Ialready have). As an amateur scripter, I find myself regularly rewriting the same code over and over again. I'm accumulating a small library of usefu routines (log file, IE progress window etc.) but what I really want is an all singing all dancing script template which I can customize for each new script. I'm thinking about the following... 1 - Usual object definitions (FSO, Shell, Net etc) 2 - Logger (I wrote a logging class for this) 3 - Directory iterator (processes every file/folder in a structure calling an sub for each file/folder) 4 - AD search 5 - AD based IsUser function to test for user account existence 6 - AD based IsGroup function etc. etc. You get the general idea. Does anyone else do this? Am I just inventing script bloat? Is there a really good template already out there? I suppose I could just download every function from NetRead Scripting website and paste them together, but I was hoping for someting a bit more integrated than that (global object defs, debug logging in all functions etc.) Or have I just made a job for myself?
  2. @sahmpeepee Yes, I see what you mean. I usually do a different config for laptops that will be used offline. Does it work OK if you make it an offline folder?
  3. Well, I'm new to software restriction policies, but I reckon it's better to start with a bucket with no holes and drill 'em where you need 'em rather that a leaky bucket which you hope you've fully patched. I've blocked everything and excpeted the following list (I'll have to update this later when I get to work) (REMOVED LIST FOR SECURITY REASONS) - If you want to see my list, PM me and I will send it... So far I've not had any major problems. (actually that's a lie, I forget to include the path to the server shre where all managed software is installed from, and that caused the occasional error) If I get any apps which insist on running outside of Program Files, then it's a 2 minute job to add an extra path rule. Maybe a WiKi on use of Software Restriction Policies is in order covering the set up and potential pitfalls.
  4. I loaded the resources CD on the server and redireced everyones shared resources to point to the central location (using admin.ini). Did I do wrong?
  5. @NetworkGeezer: I was really referring to sahmeepee's suggestion that any program be allowed to run from C:\ (and therefore anywhere on C: drive unless specifically exempt)
  6. Hmmm ... Isn't it a bit risky allowing execute from C:\. All the users temporary internet files are likely to be on C:\. The %temp% folder will be on C:\ Even denying access to browsing C:\ does not prevent a clever user who has found a way of getting a file into his/her temp folder from executing it.
  7. @Geoff - Would I be right in assuming that the ADM template shown below will only disable the USB storage if it is already running? I looked on a PC that has never seen a USB stick and the registry keys are not there. In this instance the policy will have no effect. A user could install a USB key and use it until the PC was rebooted. I think you need to modify the permissions on USBSTOR.INF and USBSTOR.PNF to prevent installation in the first place.
  8. Thanks everyone. Having grown up in Rochdale, I think I'll give it a miss. Although a weeks camping in Springfield Park is always a last resort!
  9. I'm looking to book a holiday for June/July. I've tried the usual susbects (lastminute, teletext). Can anyone reccomend any others??
  10. Would it be USBDLM (USB Drive Letter Manager)???
  11. Hmmm. Googling for "USB Drive Letter Management" returns a a big fat zero hits. Can you remember where you got it from?
  12. post removed... we have been over the whole Ranger thing! Ric_
  13. Yes, I've tried that in the past, but I don't think it would allow you to install say ISScript 8 and ISScript 8.1 (for example) as these would deliver files with the same names to the same locations.
  14. Hmmm. Thats a weird one. You can troubleshoot folder redirection by enabling the verbose USERENV logging and picking through it. If you have to do this, I highly reccomend Policy Reporter. It breaks down the USERENV.LOG and makes it A LOT easier to understand. It can also enable the verbose logging. Good luck!
  15. Assume you're talking about redirection of My Documents folder. IIRC there are 3 options; Redirect to home folder (from the setting in the user account), Basic (Redirect to a folder based on username), Advanced (Redirect to folder with root based on group membership). All but the first should redirect to something of the form '\\server\share\path\(username)\My Documents'. I am currently using Basic (for staff e.g. \\server\staffshare\%username%\My Documents) and Advanced for students so that different year groups are seperated. Have you checked the permissions on your root folders? If Windows is unable to create the My Documents folder correctly it coud fail. Do you pre-create user folders?
  16. Not to mention Lisa Stansfield, Gracie Fields & Me! (although technically I wasn't actually born there!)
  17. Looks interesting Flex Profile Kit It's a mixture of mandatory profiles, redirected folders and roaming user registry. The best of all possible worlds then!
  18. Google for 'vista hardware requirements' and follow the link to Microsoft. (sorry, my TV based browser won't let me copy the hyperlink!)
  19. I thought Vista would work without the ultimate in video hardware but just not give you translucent windows (big *$% deal!)
  20. Does anyone have a list of known problems (and solutions also!!) which can occur when students are 'limited' users (ie not Power Users). I know that in the past there were problems with certain versions of Office which expected to be able to create files in its own program folder. In low risk instalations (primary schools) I have often added the Domain Users group to the local Power Users group to make life easy. I no longer want to do this though. What do other members do??
  21. If you are saying that it is the user profile that is the problem, the quickest solution might be to delete it and create a fresh one. If this is not realistic, check closely the Internet Explorer settings against a working user profile, particularly the proxy settings / exclusions. What is the URL being used. Try retyping it carefully (make sure no spaces where there shouldn't be!) If you have roaming profiles, can the user of the profile log on to another PC and access the site succesfully? Is there a HOSTS file on the PC with weird permissions on it?
  22. Try these... - BIOS must be password protectable - All drivers to be supplied on CD-ROM or folder on HDD - Windows XP / Vista complient (when available) - Intel / 3COM LOM or NIC (you don't want the hassle I've had with SiS) - Sufficient free memory slots so that existing RAM can be doubled with no wastage - Security loop to fix unit to desk/wall etc. - Secure case (Dells are a bit too easy to open OOTB)
  23. @russdev: Vast improvement. I know I can use the 'posts since last visit', but it doesn't seem to work well when you regularly access the site from more that one location. I would still value a 'posts in the last day/week/month' option.
  24. All my XP SP2 PCs are refusing to apply the Internet Explorer Branding client side extension. The application log shows a 1091 event and talks about failing to log RSoP data. When I enabled verbose userenv debugging, I get this... USERENV(1dc.9c0) 14:19:58:031 ProcessGPOList: Extension Internet Explorer Branding returned 0x4e4. USERENV(1dc.9c0) 14:19:58:031 ProcessGPOList: Extension Internet Explorer Branding was not able to log data. Error = 0x80004005, dwRet = 1252,leaving the log dirty I am aware of the issue mentioned on the MS website relating to the problem of redirecting folders clashing with Internet Explorer Branding, but I'm redirecting folders quite happily in another GPO. Any ideas?
  25. ajbritton

    from b3ta

    There is some farily ahem 'grown up' content on b3ta
×
×
  • Create New...