Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. For suitable small sites who can't afford to regularly update two servers, I'm consdering the following to maintain the admin/curriculum separation... Single physical server with gobs of disk space, dual CPU and 4GB RAM Admin DC, DHCP, DNS, SIMS etc running on the physical server Curric DC running on a virtual server hosted on the same server Am I crazy?
  2. @CM786: Yes, that helps, many thanks.
  3. Thanks to everyone for commenting on this. Would it be fair to use CM786's equivalence chart and matching the AMD number (3400) to Intel's GHz to find equivalents then?
  4. You could write a script which automatically puts Administrator and System access back onto every file/folder in a particular path and run it every night before backup. EDIT: Sorry, I just no saw that eean already suggested that. I would recommend SETACL rather than CACLS/XCACLS however.
  5. Hmmm... Not the kind of users I would want on the network if they go around clicking on OK without reading the message!! :?
  6. Why not rewrite your AUP message so that it says something like '..by clicking on OK, you are agreeing to the following...' and using the build in legal notice function in Group Policy?
  7. You could use AutoIt to do that. It's great for manipulating existing Windows. It also has an AdLib function which will do things on a regular predefined basis.
  8. You might be able to do it with a Kixtart script. There is documentation here mentioning attributes that can be placed on a message box such as super system modal and topmost window!
  9. This almost does the mouse restriction ... http://www.vbaccelerator.com/tips/vba0001.htm
  10. I just tried a VB 5CCE app with a dialog box system modal and it did not work. I think the idea about capturing the mouse is a good one but I don't know how to do it. It might be worth trying the script on a user account to see if it makes any difference.
  11. Tricky. Is you message making itself System Modal? Usually system modal windows are in front of everything else and cannot be ignored.
  12. I've been specifying Intel based servers for yonks, but I want to include AMD now (I know, I know, I'm a bit slow to do this!). My problem is that I need to specify AMD equivalents when going to suppliers. Does anyone know of table which roughly maps Intel to AMD CPUs?
  13. Are your scripts assigned with Group Policy or on the User Account?
  14. Except possibly a complete miss!
  15. If you have to do it though, I reccomend SyncBack. It's got a great GUI and can be fully scripted.
  16. @contink: Here's the thing. If they lose their USB drive, then their data is GONE unless they are backing it up. In my view, they should consider the USB drive a transport mechanism only, just like a big floppy disk. Use it to take data to/from home/work but master copies should be on a stable, backed-up system. Maybe you need to give them a small guidebook on the best way to use the things, followed up with a little bit of on-site training. It's also not a good idea to work on files directly on USB membory as the things have a finite number of read/write cycles!
  17. ajbritton

    Net Use

    It is possible to do it from VB Script as follows... dim oNet, oShell set oNet = CreateObject("Wscript.Network") set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") oNet.MapNetworkDrive "J:", "\\server\share" oShell.NameSpace("J:").Self.Name = "Shared Work Area" set oShell = nothing set oNet = nothing EDIT: This appears not to work on Win2K Pro.
  18. I wrestled with this one for a while but ended up making an MSI. I did not make much use of it though and it's 6.76. I had a quick look at it and the bulk of the files are the BDE.
  19. :? That's odd. I've never had to do this and I've set up loads of RIS servers.
  20. Thanks beeswax, I knew there had to be something good about going away whilst the World Cup is on!! Last time I was in Cuba!
  21. We're off to Lanzarote in a few hours for a two week holiday! It's the first time we've flown with 2 kids so it will be interesting to say the least! Does anyone know if they let you use DVD players in the cabin? I can't find anything on the airline website that says otherwise, but I seem to remember some ban on laser devices. Any tips for helping a 3 year old pass the time? I've got a small bag with some colouring gear and a cheapo electronic game which should keep him busy for 10 minutes, but what then?
  22. lol - I can hear it now... "Skeggie's gone down again" or "It's about time we upgraded Cleethorpes"
  23. Do any of you who use Robocopy for your backups worry about keeping any kind of history? My worry is that a critical file gets deleted or corrupted but it's not spotted until the backup with the good version had been overwritten. My other worry about backing up to a Terrastation is that it does not give you an off-site backup. Anyone found an excuse for this or have a way around it? Maybe I should buy two Terrastations per site and alternate them being on/off-site!!
  24. In an older life, I started naming all our servers after characters from Lord of the Rings :oops: . I know, I know - majorly sad. No more though. I still have difficulty deciding how to name servers on small sites, and what do do when they are replaced. In a single server domain, is it really worth trying to reflect the site name and all the roles of the server in the name (sitename-dc-dns-wsus-sims-1 ??).Besides, you don't want to rename the server just because a role is added or removed. What then do you do when replacing the server. When all our sites migrated from NT to 2000 it was not a problem. The NT PDC could be renamed and the new 2K server installed with the original name. Not so easy under 2000 if you want to retain the domain info though unless you mess about with multiple servers. 2K3 gives us the ability to simply rename the server again (provided you do a metadata cleanup to get rid of the old entry). I'm currently thinking along the lines of (server-role)-(os)-(numerator), so a server would be called ADMIN1-2K-1. When upgraded to 2K3 it would become ADMIN1-2K3-1. When this is replaced by new hardware it would become ADMIN1-2K3-2. If a seperate server was added for Exchange or SIMS it would become ADMIN2-2K3-1 (ie 2nd Admin server, 2K3, 1st one). You've got to call them something for FFS! What do others do. I'm mostly interested in small sites using 1 or 2 servers I suppose. Although the ren
  25. ajbritton

    DC upgrade

    @plexer - Yes, that's exactly what we will do. In practise, all you need to do is a 'metadata cleanup' from NTDSUTIL (or a slash & burn in ADSIEDIT if you can't do it any other way). We've had the same problem when installing new servers at the point where we want to rename them to be the same name as the old server (having already removed the old one). I think it's because when the computer account is deleted, it gets tombstoned. Tombstoned objects hang around for up to 60 days (IIRC)!
×
×
  • Create New...