Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

kaphc

Members
  • Posts

    623
  • Joined

Everything posted by kaphc

  1. I'm trying to get our Ruckus ZoneDirector to send an email if one of the wireless access points has disconnected. I've found what I think is the right section in Configure -> Alarm Settings I'm having trouble getting the email settings right though, especially the SMTP settings as we are on a managed solution with Capita on the emPSN network. I've done an NSLOOKUP on the MX records and found the server as mx02.inthehive.net but have no way of telling a port number or the SMTP credentials (I've tried my OpenHive login details but this doesn't work). Can anyone who has this set up point me in the right direction on how to go about finding the right information to set this up? Many thanks
  2. Just testing my minion. Thanks @north-ict for creating it!
  3. Well I was just looking up versions of SMART notebook and Windows 7 as per Sted's sugggestion and I cam across this article: Windows 7 and click and drag problems on the SMART Board - Teq Blog Start -> control panel -> Pen and Touch Clicked the "Panning" tab Unchecked "Turn on single finger panning" And it's fixed! Selecting and moving works fine. The teacher was so happy she asked the kids to give me a cheer and I high-fived my way out of the classroom.
  4. Our teacher laptops have just gone from Windows XP to Windows 7. We're using them with Smart Notebook 10.6 and SB660 Smartboards. One of the teachers is experiencing something strange with the SMART software now. Previously she could just tap an object on the SMART board and it would the same as left-clicking with the mouse to select it, and then she could then move the object around. Now, with Windows 7, we've played with it and we can get objects to move, but it's very hit and miss as to whether the object selects in the first place. For example, we've tried the interactive clock and we are struggling to get the hands to move around. We've also tried doodling with a pen on the board, and then picking that up and moving it around. Once we've got it selected, it will move beautifully, but it takes two or three goes to actually select it. I've tried making sure the firmware is upgraded, orienting the board (fine settings), changing the sensitivity of the pens / fingertips settings etc. but this has not made a difference. It all works fine from the laptop with the mouse. I'm just wondering if there's something in Windows 7 that needs fine-tuning to get the board to work as a device. Or ????
  5. I like supergirl's supercat! Meow! Having a busy day so no time to interview supercats for suitability today but I will investigate.
  6. You have a pony to tell you. I may need to investigate a similar suitable minion for my own purposes :-)
  7. Dear me, what have I started! The only thing now is that I always want to be told that I am splendid to behold, therefore all my future posts on edugeek will have to be utter codswallop so that I gain no rep ever again!
  8. Reasons to be cheerful part 1: it's Friday! Reasons to be cheerful part 2: I just hovered over the green set of bars underneath my username and up popped a message that said "Kaphc is a splendid one to behold". Oh edugeek, you make my day!
  9. Yeah, the Microsoft article I linked to earlier ddi the same thing with a Shift + F10 shortcut to get in and be able to modify the registry. Thank goodness for Google as it was one shaky moment for me! I am slightly reassured to see that it has happened to others on builds as well, as at the time I thought it was probably just me!
  10. Glad the suggestions are useful - I ought to add that I'm nothing to do with the blog I linked to, but I found it via twitter and think it's got some cracking ideas in it. Some other points that occur to me: - Are the iPads going to be 1 or 2 per class, or as a bank to use all at the same time? This will be a big factor in deciding what apps are useful for them. - Look at the apps out there for working with the EYFS profile, such as 2BuildAProfile, which use the iPad to quickly record and upload evidence towards the EYFS goals. I haven't used this myself yet, but am looking at it as something for September. - Another blog I find really helpful is Simon Haughton's Again, I have no personal connection with this but it's full of practical ideas and tips
  11. Flash can work on iPads, but it's a case of downloading an alternative browser to Safari I think - have a look around and see what's on iTunes. I'd suggest you get the ICT co-ordinators in the schools to read Mr Parkinson's blog which gives loads of really good ideas about how to link the use of iPads in the curriculum. Apps we use in the primary curriculum include things like The very Hungry Caterpillar counting, Squeebles Times Tables, Sketch Me! and Pocket Phonics which are paid apps and then loads of free apps like Puppet Pals HD, Matches! Bubbleball, Collins Big Cat books, Sock Puppets, Bee-Bot etc. If you're on Twitter, search #ipaded and #edapp and you'll get loads of results with suggestions too.
  12. kaphc

    Oblivion

    Haha, maybe I'm not part of an effective team then Could be that it's a film I would enjoy more watching second time round.
  13. kaphc

    Oblivion

    I watched Oblivion last week and thought pretty much exactly the same. Slow slow slow, then all of a sudden trying to work out twists and reality and what was going on. Also couldn't help feeling sorry for the red-headed girl which I suspect I wasn't really supposed to, and couldn't help tutting and rolling my eyes at Tom Cruise trying to be the hero all the time, which again I suspect I wasn't really supposed to!
  14. Yeah everything seems to be back to normal now. @robk are you planning on going to the emPSN technical workshop on 23rd May? I'm hoping the Capita solution may be discussed there and there'll be chance to put forward issues that need resolving and suggestions for improvements ... may be a bit optimistic though!
  15. Oh and it also affects anyone trying to log in with their OpenHive ID to elevate their filtering priviledges. I'll stop replying to myself for now and go and do something else :-)
  16. Just got through to Capita and logged it as a support call, they are aware of it and have engineers looking into it.
  17. Looks like the OpenHive portal (myservices.inthehive.net) is down which means the Derbyshire extranet is also down. Though emails are still being pulled down into Outlook this morning so it must just be something to do with the portal. If anyone hears anything like a downtime estimate or if the portal is back up and running, can you post it here?
  18. I'm at the Derbyshire emPSN technical workshop on 23rd May which I hope will feature some kind of discussion with/about Capita on how to make their service for schools more effective. I can always raise this then if so .... looks like it could still be ongoing in May by the looks of this :-)
  19. To add to the mix, these are all small primary schools - in a couple of them, we have "old" servers that were replaced which I haven't disposed of, just as a really last-ditch option. But there's never enough budget or spare decent kit around to have extra servers. Each school has a back-up / DR policy so that's in place. I'm just implementing swappable backups in a couple of them. The admin staff also run backups of the finance & pupil management software. The DR policy lists priorities for restoring services. To actually do a full restore, each primary has maintenance with the County Council which would cover the full restore of the server. Until I've sat down now and thought this out, it hadn't really occurred to me though that there would be a mix of the County Council / external suppliers involved and it would be useful to map out who would do what. This will be a really useful exercise to do and make sure we have all the relevant responsibilities and requirements mapped out plus easy access to contact details etc.
  20. Good point! To clarify - these are server backups I am referring to, i.e. in Windows Server 2003 System State plus volumes and in Windows Server 2008 Bare metal recovery, System State plus volumes. The backups are in various different schools which is why I'm working with two different Server o/s and different backup methods. They use Windows Server Backup (apart from one which uses Cobian) either directly or by calling it as a scheduled task. Hope this helps to provide more detail to what was quite a vague question :-)
  21. I've just implemented swappable backups in a small primary school and it got me thinking about how to test and verify backups. At the moment, all I do is periodically create a test file before the next backup, wait until the backup has run, then delete the test file and check I can restore it from the backup drive. I'm sure there's more I could be doing, and I'm sure this might open up a whole can of worms .... but can anyone provide any tips on best practice?
  22. We when sold off some laptops for donations to the PTFA, the main issue for us was that it was all marked with the school name and postcode, so we kept a list of sales and serial numbers - just in case anything ever got nicked from the staff and was returned to school.
  23. Yes I had the exact same issue when running IE9 with with a version of Flash 11.6 - I followed the advice posted by dksniper above and it sorted out the speed of pages loading. When I logged in with an account that had admin rights, the speed was fine, so it was definitely the access rights that fixed it.
  24. Congratulations and belated Happy Birthday!
  25. You could have a look and see if there's anything useful in here BENQ MP515 manual
×
×
  • Create New...