-
Posts
623 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by kaphc
-
Am having a strange issue with a Netgear WG602 v3 WAP in a classroom. When I try and connect to the Wireless network in that classroom with a laptop, the signal strength is fine but the connectivity is saying limited. The wireless light and the network light are both flashing to receive and transmit data. The WAP in question does not seem to have one of the static IP addresses allocated so has been picking up an IP address via DHCP. However, looking at the history of the IP addresses allocated, I can see that it was working fine with a dynamic IP address at one point, so maybe this is a red herring? The admin passwords for all the WAPs have been changed and not documented so I can't access the management software to check it out. Am just wondering whether the best solution would be to take it back to factory settings and set it up again from scratch. Are there any other options?
-
I did an Open BSc(Hons) degree and also did the Diploma in Computing and Diploma in Information Technology along the way. I have only used the qualification to go for one job since but found that it was as recognised as any other degree. The place that the OU fills in the market seems to be changing rapidly and acceptance is becoming more and more widespread as many youngsters choose to do a degree this way and work to pay for their studies rather than go to a "conventional" university. For the record, I took 5 years to do my degree whilst working full-time. The last two years I did more courses but that was my choice to speed things up. When I did my degree (1997 - 2001) the choice of courses was very theoretical, lots of Maths and Programming as Tony has said. Never have I programmed in SmallTalk or C++ again! There seems to be a big shift in the OU Computing dept now towards more practical courses such as TM128 and others which provide skills for use in most workplaces.
-
I'm signed up to this course in the East Midlands though I'm up in Derbyshire.
-
Thanks. will check out their website for the install files. Sparkeh, oh yes I always backup before upgrades (and online no one can see my fingers crossed behind my back can they??!) Seriously, good point, have taken it on board.
-
So I knew that Spiceworks was going to ask for an update in August but didn't have time to get it done before the summer holidays. Am now back and thought I would do it, but am having problems. I launch the application, it shuts down and reloads, then it hangs on a screen saying that the new version is being downloaded and may take up to 10 minutes. I've given it half an hour just to be sure but it still hangs on that screen and shows no progress on the download bar. Just wondering if anyone has got the update to run OK and if so how long it took. Am running it on Windows Server 2003 SP2. Thanks
-
Derbyshire It Techs meetings
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Hi, good to hear from you - will PM you. Thanks! -
Recommended free mp4 player or mp4 to avi converter
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Downloaded VLC and it seems to work really well - thanks for the tips. In the interim, the school has decided to purchase a flip camera per class, plus tuff cams for the infant classes. So most files will prob be playable now as they'll have the camera. Will need to see if we still need to convert the large mp4 files if they start clogging up the storage space though, but that's a job for next year! -
Recommended free mp4 player or mp4 to avi converter
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
My best laid plans to check these out fell apart - we've had no internet access at school ... shall resist the urge to do it in my time and wait till next week! Thanks for all the suggestions. -
Recommended free mp4 player or mp4 to avi converter
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Thanks, will take a look and see. -
Hi, we are using Flip video cameras in school but the video files they produce can currently only be played back when the Flip camera is plugged into the computer. Am looking for a way to be able to play these files back at anytime, have located the files in the user profile / my documents / my videos folder as *.mp4 files. Can anyone recommend a good free mp4 player to download without loads of ads? Or a reliable mp4 to avi converter? We were also thinking about burning them to dvds as the file sizes are quite large and our backup tape is getting full ... but we don't currently have the facilities in school to do this.
-
Hello, I think you posted some of this info on ukGovernors the other day? This is so comprehensive and helpful, thanks very much!
-
Hi Hobett Just wanted to say thanks for your insights into this. I have found the software disappointing in this respect as well. I was trying to save the video files onto the network and encountered similar problems. I eventually found the saved files in "My Documents" and copied them up to the network in the end. Maybe these devices are marketed at home users more - it's a shame 'cos ours in school is cracking! I want one of my own now as well :-)
-
Derbyshire It Techs meetings
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Thanks, I don't know as there are many of us in Derbyshire anyway, just thought I'd put out a few feelers to see. Would welcome an update if you get one, thanks. -
Hi all Must admit I'm getting quite envious of Leicestershire and Northants and their get togethers. Does anyone know if there are any that go on in Derbyshire - either social or conference / training style? I'm only in a primary school so am not very in-depth myself, more of a jack of all trades, but I am just wondering who else is out there and whether I'm missing anything! Regards
-
BTW, I did get the message, thanks. In the end, I still couldn't find any *.rp files on the laptop and decided a copy and paste would be the quickest way to get the data sorted.
-
Yeah, I only work mornings on Fridays - expect I will pick up the message on Monday though, thanks for letting me know.
-
BTW, I did leave a message with support about this earlier this morning, thas there was no reply on the phones (guess everyone's busy asking questions now!!!) so if you are able to cross that one off their list of things to do then please do :-)
-
Hi, thanks for the quick reply as ever - yes I tried copying and pasting as Alt & V which is OK, but will take me about an hour to go through and do for each pupil. It's not the end of the world if we have to do it like that, but I just wondered if there was a quicker way. And goodness knows where the *.rp file webt - although as I type this it's just occurred to me that I could do a search of his laptop for a *.rp file rather than searching for "report" which is what I tried first. The Import from rtf would be fab, but I can't imagine it'll be used much except in this one instance - I'd say hang fire on this and I'll see what I can do with more refined searches first. Will let you know on Monday.
-
@ComputingData - hope you can help with this query. One of our teachers has written their reports and then exported them into rich text format. They have not saved a copy in reportplus format (i.e. a *.rp file). Can we import the rich text files back into report plus? I can't find a way at the moment. To add to this, the teacher in question left at half-term so we can't go back and ask them to sort this problem themselves! Many thanks as ever for your help!
-
@ComputingData - quick question if you are around. We have a couple of users who are writing reports on their own laptops at home but they don't have internet access set up on them. I've downloaded Reportplus from the website onto a memory stick and installed the software for them via that. Then I've popped the school settings onto a memory stick too and loaded those. The step we haven't completed is Validating the software by entering the school Licence name and the username / password because this is obviously the bit that requires the internet access. So far the teachers appear to be OK writing and saving the reports. But will the fact that we have missed out the validation step cause any problems, either with the report writing or when we come to collate all the reports together?
-
Headlight reflectors for driving on the continent?
kaphc replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
On the ferry to France last year (P&O) we bought a rather nifty sticker to put on the windscreen - it reminds you which way to go on roundabouts etc when driving on the "wrong" side of the road. -
Yes, I see what you mean, the possibilities of an endless loop abound. Am going with an alias for now anyway, hopefully there won't be too many e-mails and I can delete the alias in September when the new ICT co-ordinator starts.
-
Added to which, SUMS appears to have gone through an upgrade to version 9 which requires some browser setting changes - of course I am psychic so I would have known this! But now found some alias settings buried in there .... could well be the way forward!
-
We're in Derbyshire, so the LEA hold the accounts as far as I know. SUMS is the user management system for e-mails but it's a bit clunky!
-
Quick question: we have a member of staff leaving and want to put an auto-forward on his e-mails so that they all come to me (he is the ICT co-ordinator, so makes sense in case it's anything IT related). Can we do this: a) from his account? b) via SUMS? c) something that we'd have to request from County It support? d) something that we'd have to request from Synetrix? As the possible solutions are many, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.
