Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

nile_c

Members
  • Posts

    223
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by nile_c

  1. Have you tried with WiFi turned off to see if that makes any difference? I've heard it can cause some issues. My HTC Desire + Sony stereo + A2DP has a little wobble when I park in range of my router and it reconnects.
  2. Sheridan, I think you were on the right track earlier in-thread when you mentioned content modification rules. Turn off the ignore filter in the log viewer and check for any lines with MODIFIED, particularly on JavaScript, and see what you see.
  3. Sure, when you're editing a custom category, click the 'Advanced>>' button which will expand some further options. The text area at the bottom (absolute search terms) can be used to add your prohibited search words. Just add them one per line, in parentheses e.g. (free games) Save and apply the changes as you ordinarily would.
  4. Hi James, From the horse's mouth: iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues Section 3 has a list of domains. I believe it's exhaustive.
  5. No worries! Anything's possible on a Friday, I know that only too well...
  6. I'm a bit worried about that. It gets *very* blocked on our test rigs here. If you PM me some details we can take a look for you?
  7. Haha, no worries. Skype is a bit of a pig in that respect, I'll have a good think what we can do about it!
  8. Hi skell, It sounds like you aren't using HTTPS interception? If that isn't turned on then Guardian can't do its "clever stuff" to dynamically block this little critter. Anyhow, it's now in the blocklists for those who aren't inspecting secure traffic.
  9. I had heard Motorola will be releasing the Droid 2 as the Milestone 2 here in Europe, but I've not spotted a release date yet.
  10. This was raised in adjournment debate by Claire Perry MP a couple of weeks ago. As far as I can tell nothing much has come of it. The whole debate is actually on YouTube however, I'll warn you, I've watched it and it bored me to tears.
  11. I'm partial to FoxyProxy on Firefox. It lets you have multiple proxies configured and switch between them via a widget in the Status bar (amongst other features). Obviously this only helps with "web", not your general networking.
  12. Good to hear! Like a labrador, the filter logs are a faithful friend :-) I enjoyed the puzzle anyway..
  13. Ok, I've had a bit of a look around. For 4OD to work there are a few more domains and URLs that are needed, in addition to the ones RTFM mentioned earlier. The complete list that you will need to either 'Allow' or 'Skip URL blocking' on is: realmedia.channel4.com googleads.g.doubleclick.net ad-emea.doubleclick.net/ad/ google.com/uds/api/ads/ pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ Let us all know how you get on with these
  14. Not sure of anyone who use it around here, no. I do know that their solution is bought in from somewhere (not us, or websense actually ) It's worth finding out what exactly will be provided, such as the level of control you will get over the categories filtered, what reporting is available, how you might authenticate your users, how you will manage groups and whether they have implemented just URL lists or "proper" content filtering. I'd never knowingly "pitch" to anyone, just giving you a few areas to poke your nose in and be sure everything remains A-Ok :-)
  15. As other have said, your web filter logs on the smoothwall are only place where you will find out what is happening here. We're always happy to take a look at the logs if you would like to send them via PM/email/support ticket. It's best to use a test account and limit the logs to this particular user or IP address and examine the DENIED entries. 'Advert' blocks are a likely cause, as 4OD videos play after an initial advert runs. You've mentioned that students can access other Youtube content, how has that been implemented? Do you have allow rules for Youtube in place, or something else?
  16. There will be a new Guardian category for this tomorrow underneath the 'Search engines' group.
  17. Hi Robin, We have an article in the KB that will help you do just that: https://support.smoothwall.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=365 Thanks!
  18. Hi John, you're probably thinking of the option to turn on YouTube Safety Mode. Tom is referring to YouTube being split out of the Audio and Video category to exist as a category of its own. <- That indeed hasn't been released yet, so you won't find it in the list ;-) It will happen soon however, along with some other category "re-jigging". @john: To save us getting OT, take a look at: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/internet-related-filtering-firewall/50497-force-youtube-safety-mode.html Essentially Safety Mode will help you by A) Stopping certain videos from being viewed or found in searches and B) Filtering comments from the comments list
  19. T Mobile will give you the best FUP limit. They offer 3GB with their Android devices.
  20. Version 2 got forked by the community into this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/180650/ which will work with newer browsers. Personally, I disliked v3 but YMMV. There are plenty of alternatives in this arena and it's worth trying a few out.
  21. Check out something called Targeting Advertising Cookie Optout version 2. This Firefox extension preloads the opt-out cookie for most known tracking/behavioural ad services, without you having to visit them all and opt out yourself. Make sure to find v2, as v3 is an entirely different bit of software.
  22. Ok, In the first instance I would review your web filter logs using Information>Logs>web filter. This would indicate if there are any other domains involved that it cannot reach during updates. It will also tell you whether the traffic is hitting the proxy at all. The 'realtime' filter log - also under the 'information' menu - can be used if you'd prefer to do "live" testing, whilst you attempt the updates. Feel free to PM me any of the information from the logs, or open up a ticket with our support guys if needed.
  23. Yes, that's right, All Groups will cover everyone. Has the allow rule improved the situation?
  24. You will need to make sure that the domain 'secureaccess.co.uk' is in an allowed list for the Unauthenticated Users group. Because you skip auth. for those requests, they come through with the same access rights as an Unauthenticaed user; it's quite likely that unauthenticated users don't have (much) net access.
  25. Hi, just an update that we've released the Translation category as a Beta. You should now be able to add it to one of your existing filters. Feedback on a postcard :-)
×
×
  • Create New...