markman
Members-
Posts
127 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by markman
-
I should proof read my titles before I list. Sorry
-
I have set a GPO to pooint at our proxy server, the only problem is only certain users are picking up the policy; so some have internet access some don't. Can's seem to find an answer on the net. Have been getting help from ChrisH but I am getting nagged to death over this. Any ideas out there? Cheers
-
Ran the DCDIAG /TEST:DNS and it has passed this test. 12 months ago our original domain controller went down do we had a backup take over but workstations were still looking for the the old one so when it was back up it was set as a forwarder. Would this cause problems?
-
Hi all, I am receiving error 4521 and 9999 in DNS, the 4521 have been appearing for a while but the 9999 have shown early this morning about every hour any ideas??
-
yes, I have spken to them before but I think I will gve them another go later, ta for the help:)
-
All our users are set up using a template for that year group so there shouldn't be any differences between accounts. Cheers for the link ahuxham, no luck there either. Would removing authentication give everyone access?
-
Roaming per user
-
Our year 7's have the same problem so we have set all their passwords the same and we remove the ability to change them. But they aren't even getting the login screen when they open IE?
-
This problem happened before but not on the current scale, we have imported the new year 7 and only about 5 of them can actually get a login screen. If it was group policy would it not be them all? other people can log onto the same machines?
-
Hello all! I am having a problem that with authentication. Some users get on fine and some don't get the log in window adn IE defaults to the Microsoft site rather than the school site that they should see. Now, we have bought into CN pro but we can't get it online until half term when I will hopefully have a RAID controller to go into the new server and I figure out how to install it properly. Now my question, if I disable authentication will it remove our login problems? I assume so but an lost with Linux. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
-
As much as I hate these laptops it seems odd to drop the internet connction as that is part of the reason they were getting these computers because the government want to give people who cant' afford it internet access. We have one parent who phoned in complaining the internet wouldn't work on the laptop and it must be the laptop that is at fault because the 3G card we supplied works great on their other laptop!!
-
Question for anyone with these damed laptops for pupils which I hope will be a lot. We currently have a numbe of shall we call them 'spares' that haven't been distrubuted. Does anyone know if we can allow staff to use if we are short of admin laptops? I understand there will be more of these distibuted to schools, they are a nightmare!! How are other schools dealing with them?
-
I had heard the Hayward may become an academy, didn't realise Bolton were running the academys scheme. I had also heard it may be closing, but I suppose that may be because of the academy. The school I work for in Manchester is becoming an academy in 2010, not sure of the prospects yet but they can't even decide on a site. Is there a Cover Managers group, system manager is just showing Cover here??
-
Cheers for the help, contacted capita support and they are authorizing it. Don't know why I didn't just do that John, you are at a Bolton shool, which one? I am a Bolton boy, went to Hayward Comprehensive way back!! Oh my god I left 25 years ago
-
Does anyone know how to enable cover 7 in SIMS?
-
Hi all, I hope you are enjoying the quiet I have a weird one going on. A PC and a wireless using a wireless modem router, the PC is wired via ethernet and the Laptop is wireless. The laptop can access the internet but as soon as you turn on the PC it disconnects and the router loses its connection with the Net, the PC can't access the net at all. Both can ping the router, I have disconnected everything but the essentials? Any help would be greatly appreciated
-
Hi, I have a Dell Poweredge 860 that it says it has a '82801G (ICH2 Family) ULTRA ATA Storage Controller' embedded but during POST it doesn't give any link to configure it. Any one got one of these? Any ideas? I have searched the net and Dell's support site but haven't found anything?? By RAD I meant RAID.
-
After a couple of hairy moments lately we are putting together a best practice 'data security procedures' to safeguard data on our networks. What do you use as data and network solutions i.e. student / staff data, server data? What kind of backup rotas? How far back do you have backups? Should I be able to retrieve data from 6 months ago? Thoughts please?
-
Yep, after checking we have been doing incremental. Damned frustrating but there aren't any files there and I' sure someone must have done dome work for the last two months
-
I am feeling like the biggest plonker walking I have been quite happily backing up the students home directories to tape (well I thought I was!!), now two students who's work has mysteriously vanished had me at the server restoring only to find we don't have a single tape with any valid data just all their folders. Any ideas what has happened We haven't had to restore anything for ages so our earliest tape from Feb is still file-less.
-
We have just bought some HP 530 laptops with SATA drives and Windows Vista. We have issues with running SIMS on Vista (it doesn't work for us) and so we have downloaded the SATA drivers from HP and tried installing XP. The driver HP recommend couldn't find drives so we searched and found another that found the drives but blue screened after formatting the drive. Now on a third driver and using XP with SP2 we have got back to formatting but after that it asks for another driver Intel Matrix Storage Manager but we have downloaded this driver and it is just not recognised!!! Any help would be appreciated.
-
I have just bought a new computer and I need to move all my Outlook email and contacts over to the new one before the old one packs in completely. It is Outlook 2003. Can anyone help? Cheers
-
I have remove a package from all computers using AD that we are no longer licensed and it went fine apart from 5 computers (bizarrely apart from one that are all next to each other in one suite) that won't complete the removal. Any help would be appreciated, the languages department have the most whining teachers in school!
-
Has anyone any experience of courses at itlearneasy.com as I have been considering using them but it is a lot to lay out. Training is never cheap though in IT, any experience with them anyone?
-
Good point about the 5 year contracts, anyone have any ideas what happens then? What if the same company don't keep the contract. Are we tupid back? Will schools be able to afford to take back there technical staff? They can't even agree on a site for my school yet so it may be 5 years before we get a new school!!
