Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pcstru

Members
  • Posts

    5,998
  • Joined

Everything posted by pcstru

  1. So I create a file with your data "thedata.csv" and a file "SpecFile.txt" which contains the following : set title 'My Graph' set ylabel 'Pages' set xlabel 'People' set term png set output 'test.png' set datafile separator "," plot "thedata.csv" using 2:xticlabels(1) with histogram I can then produce a graph from the command line : C:\Progra~1\gnuplot\bin\gnuplot < SpecFile.txt Not pretty but hopefully that is helpful as a starting point.
  2. Is the .mntcheck file present? If not, create one (it is just an empty file).
  3. The process should be the same. HA just needs every ESX node in the cluster to have access to the same storage and but can have multiple 'SANs' provisioning storage.
  4. The really big difference was in the recording and playback equipment. The tape itself was generally wider and ran a lot faster - which helped improve dynamic range. However, if you took high end tape, cut it down and spooled it onto a casette, it would not magically improve the performance of a domestic cassette player - much (and not beyond buying a good quality tape in the first place), the equipment is generally the biggest factor when it comes to quality, IMO.
  5. Mmmm. Good tape on a decent deck could be very very good; not surprising as tape was the media to master on, albeit 1/4 in or more running rather faster than cassette. But as with ALL recording and playback schemes, the input will be distorted and that distortion can help the music to feel more together (less like it was a bunch of people playing one at a time, perhaps using many takes and splicing their efforts together for a final mix and more like a bunch of people just playing together). A family member of mine spent some time hunting down a particular 1in tape machine for a greatest hits album because it's RW heads were wound in a particular way and the master tapes were recorded with that head. What I find fascinating about claims for vinyl's "warmth" etc is that the distortion on a record varies as it plays (the constraints of the medium are different at the outside of a record than on the innermost track). People claim to be able to hear the "warmth" or whatever, but I've not heard anyone complain that it varies over the course of a record.
  6. IMO highly Unlikely. Even if the site is hosting personal data, I think the best you would get is them removing the site and databases. They are unlikely to be obligated to return it to you as such, that is likely to have been the site owners responsibility and there was presumably nothing to stop them backing up etc when they did have access. That's a lot of assumptions though! If there is a back end database and you have credentials, can't you access the DB directly or is configured only to accept connections from a limited range of IP's?
  7. It might be OK for students but IMO it is not OK as standalone for Staff. First, I doubt if it is true - do you really record ALL network traffic, ALL keystrokes? If so, that is surprising but if you do, what are your policies for access to it, for retention of it and for deletion? The main problem area is likely to be access to it. Do you have a policy which governs access to this data by staff - which may or may not include you? If you do not have a policy that controls who can access it, under what circumstances and who's permission needs to be sought and given etc, then you may well be in violation of peoples rights under various pieces of legislation (EU Human Rights, DPA, Business Communications, RIPA etc). It is not good enough to simply put in an AUP that staff are being monitored. The situation is different for students and you pretty well can do this AFAIAA. To operate safely within the law, you need the monitoring policy in place and clearly communicated to staff. IMO that means they sign for it.
  8. I still favour projectors; I can't find screens at that size (84in) that compare in cost. I can have an ultra short throw fitted + sound and board substantially cheaper than any display that size. I also think a matt whiteboard is good for dual use where a display can't be used for anything else.
  9. It's an area I find very difficult to get a good balance (between value and risk mitigation), particularly in our environment (schools) where in a revenue business it would be easier to assess the actual costs involved in downtime and data loss, which is a big part of the risk assessment. It's not that I think user files are 'less important', but I think the data loss window we have in the event of complete loss of a single device is reasonable given the costs at the time of reducing that window further (i.e. another £30-40K rather than (ISTR) ~£10K for the two T12000's fully populated with drives). To make sense, a days data loss of user changes would need to involve costs of ~£10K if I'm generous and spread the capital over an equipment lifetime of 3-4 years (all of the kit is now older). The main SAN is addressing a different risk, the total operational loss of systems (in the event of the failure of an entire storage node), which would, if we had no redundancy, probably involve a week or more of major disruption while we provision replacement kit and pull in the backups. Believe it or not, our main SAN was built on the cheap (by virtue of using OpenE) compared to off the shelf options from our previous vendor and other suppliers. I think we got really good value even if OpenE has at times been a pain.
  10. OK, not quite true. The SAN is almost exclusively provisioning lumps to our ESX hosts in our cluster (6 hosts with ~30 production servers). Transactional databases (MIS, catering etc) and other systems data effectively live on it as do files in Sharepoint (so there is a small amount of user files on there). However, it would be an expensive way to provision fairly dumb file storage (which is relatively poorly managed by the end users) and we do not IMO need automated failover for that. The performance of the T12000's is fine for our use (~2000 users, ~800 peak concurrent) and if one fails we can switch to the other in a few minutes.
  11. I believe the powershell NMap + Plugin posted by @mrbios here should be just the job.
  12. Thanks. I'm not sure that does quite what I want. It will allow me to see SMB v1 traffic and identify source/dest. I essentially want to generate traffic and thus have a positive check that a server is not responding with "SMB v1? Hell yes, let's go!".
  13. I've seen instructions on disabling SMB v1 etc and seen some people then experience problems. What I'm failing to find is a way to positively test that a server is or is not offering SMB v1. I don't mean check the registry etc, I mean something that will actually probe and tell me if the server accepts connections for the service or not. Anyone?
  14. If you are that age and have relatively little experience of riding on the road, then training to pass the A1 test is no bad thing; I'd not call any training or competency test a waste of money where motorbikes are concerned.
  15. If you lack precision it is just a question of adjusting the size of the warhead. (which is to say every measurement has an error but if you know what it is, it is possible to solve problems where individual measurements are arbitrarily imprecise). ETA - for some admissions processes it used to be a matter of sifting data to finding out which applicants would need someone to go out and measure the distance with a surveyor's wheel. Sometimes what you need to know is when the possible error of your measuring tool is insufficient to comply with policy/legislation.
  16. A comforting thought ... our Nuclear (Trident) Submarines run Windows XP. Just thought I'd share that.
  17. Good luck for your CBT.
  18. We put personal devices on our BYOD network but we would not put them on our main network. My rationale for this is that we protect endpoints on our main network via a variety of means (AV, Policy etc) and we can only do this with devices we own (and therefore have authority to configure as we require). We protect our network from malicious software which may be running on user owned devices, by only routing traffic from them out of our network.
  19. Comanche.
  20. IMO they are fine on motorways (but it is boring). For some commutes (I used to have to do the occasional the M1/M25 into London of a morning), the ability to filter rocks past traffic stuck in jam is fabulous!
  21. After a few years that turns into thinking you are doing 30 and then looking down and discovering the pocket rocket is pootling along at (mumbles incoherently). Have to agree with the dissing of scooters, I had a shot on my nieces and it was like driving a shopping trolley but with two wheels - it didn't inspire me as very stable! I'd not worry too much about being corrupted by the control scheme (becoming programmed by twist and go) - you quickly learn new skills and apply them in the correct context. I don't seem to have issues switching between right hand drive, auto's, flappy paddle two pedal set-ups; once you learn them you just do them automagically when in the correct context.
  22. It depends on your attitude to risk. If you are entirely comfortable that YOU are responsible for everything, including other peoples mistakes - a nice little 125 would be great. If you want to mitigate a bit of the risk (mostly on the consequences side), a nice little cheap 4 wheel runabout will help to keep some mistakes from becoming lifelong friends as scars, limps and perhaps missing bits on the extremities. I was of the view that people should ride a bike before getting in a car but experience comes with experience (weird I know) and lack of experience on a bike is likely to hurt, in a car it might but it is somewhat less likely (so on a bike, late braking on a damp road might see you sliding down the road, in a car you skid, stop, take a deep breath and think how lucky you are, then carry on.
  23. IMO they need to ensure adequate supervision and it is not entirely reasonable to expect an 11 year old to understand the consequences of not listening properly to, and then not sticking to the points of a safety briefing. Any risk assessment should include supervision of minors when there are such risks of injury. The park too IMO looks a bit vulnerable. If they say "do not stand up", why aren't seat belts then mandatory which would prevent someone standing up (without taking the positive action of unbuckling) and why if the ride, to be safe, needs people to adhere to their rules, do they allow unsupervised children on the ride?
×
×
  • Create New...