Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Midget

Members
  • Posts

    1,313
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Midget

  1. what's wrong with linux+qmail + horde?
  2. Midget

    New computers

    something to think about: if Dells break you can't fix them. If the warrenty is up and the PSU fails, you have to throw away the whole PC or pay huge amounts to Dell who may or may not supply a replacement (or buy a 1U server PSU which is a far site more than a normal sized PSU. Same for MoBo and CPU HeatSink. DOWN WITH PROPRIETARY MOTHERBOARD STANDARDS!
  3. i'll try updating firmware, atm it wont let me have a 10.*.*.* address w/ a 255.255.0.0 subnet webman: That would be very useful if you could saveout that bin file. thank you. QQ: Why is network kit designed for "home" so bloody difficult to use? *Goes searching for WiFi APs from AliedTelesyn*
  4. a WBR2-G54 funnily, I'm configuring it from the web GUI with a laptop connected to the buffalo, I would have just prefered for it to use our own IP range instead of the 192.168.*.* one and be remotely configurable. It works when bridging two of them with no wireless clients, but when you want it as an access point, nah ah. If I had more time i'd probably figure it out, but i'm currently also battling with Nelson Thornes' awful software
  5. I'm currently trying to reuse a Buffalo router for the task, god its not easy, it just REALLY loves using 192.168.*.* and won't allow our DHCP server to give IPs to wireless clients (10.*.*.*) and as such you can't remotely connect to it, have to connect directly.
  6. Midget

    New computers

    oh? :? have people had problems with them in the past?
  7. Midget

    New computers

    THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT I HAVE NO ASSOCIATION WITH THIS COMPANY OUTSIDE OF THEM BEING OUR MAIN SUPPLIERS. We use NS Optimum, no major problems (just the odd PSU (2 out of 150 this year) and they send replacements out straight away no quibbles) and they come with a full 3 year warrenty. Phone sales and ask for Brian Higgens on 01926880300 (option 1)
  8. depends if your teachers are running a side business or not
  9. my friend is a marine, so I can ask him for starchy advice luckily. 12:30? balls time to head off, at least SSH is working now (my task for the evening)
  10. I'm looking into this atm for the same reason (using Lisol Pathways reg system though) it seems ok, PE havent had a look at it yet, but i'm loathed to buy them laptops at £500 a pop just for registration and them looking at porn and spyware (no joke) when a £240 PDA will work better. We may do a mix of both, either way it saves some money on my budget
  11. Yup, only thing I can think of is shit powersupplies as it was setup before the new Beasty UPSTM arrived. And the other UPS shows that we get power fluctuations (between 220 and 260v) at times, however the IBM, Fujitsu x2, HP, and 3 NSO servers all survived happily not to mention all the desktops (and have done in the 12months i've been there) Luckily it was only the new registration system webserver, so nothing important was lost as we were running a parallel system with bromcom Midget
  12. I work in the deepest darkest Welsh Vahlees (spelt valleys) but actually live nowhere near there thankfully. Are there any other welsh edutechs about? I know of only one other who actually knows what he's talking about (who may or maynot visit this site) and he's in cardiff and a SWLUG member.
  13. I had 3 dell poweredge servers die in 2weeks (one after the other as they were replaced - HDDs and PSUs) so I now trust them less than a trust their PoS Desktops, which says alot Midget
  14. what do you actually need this for? Adding more HDDs to the server or creating a NAS? Midget
  15. I would also be interesting in such a thing, especially if it takes account that the students dont have any local access rights......... qq on this: why doesnt the GPO setting (delete local profs) actually work? Midget
  16. /me rubs chin.......although i don't think we have anywhere to put them we already have 12 proper IT rooms (ie more than 20machines), and then loads of clusters all over the place. I like the idea though, I'll give it a try (after my next project which is to get a linux server running QMail tied to the NT Domain and which is also connected via an ADSL connection to the real world (the county filtering is terrible, it even filters this site and regularily overloads if more than 20people try to use the net at the same time) so that the teachers can have an email address Midget
  17. I like this suggestion, i've been wanting to put out some linux clients with just net/wordprocessing on them, just a shame they are so bloody large. If I had the space and time i'd take them myself and flog them on ebay, I was tempted to stick them up as a job lot. "3 pallets of computers and accompanying monitors £50 you collect" Although thinking about it, the people on site can hardly use windows, throwing them into linux as well would kill them, it's hard enough getting them to accept that the new web based registration system is seperate from the windows logon (yes, I was caught out by this and spent ages trying to figure out why they couldn't logon)
  18. I have >340 machines all on one site and I'm the only person who even knows how to turn them on. No PFYs (and the sort of person you'd get for minimum wage would not be the sort of person I'd want working with me) and the IT Teachers can only use Word. So I have lots of stress. 70 computers in total! Heaven Midget
  19. On a similar note I have 70+ base units ranging 486 --> P2/Celeron 500MHz and 15" monitors to go with them and I have no idea what to do with them. Any ideas that don't cost £12/machine for disposal? Most charities say they are too old for them and I don't know 70odd ComSc students in need of a DIY router.
  20. Evening all. It's taken me 12months of working as the ITTech/Manager/Purchaser/Dogsbody/Electrician (computers use electricity so I obviously MUST be able to deal with everything else electrical) to find this site, but i'm glad I have, especially after I found out why the machines where taking so bloody long to load the profiles. After several jobs ranging from driving a forklift to writing Oracle and SQLServer databases and frontends as a contractor whilst at Uni, I ended up getting a job in a school as a gap filler until I found a proper graduate job....and i'm still bloody here. On the plus side at least the school has enough money for me to play with - I have upgraded the whole place to fibre optics*, which is a bit of a jump from the 10mb hubs# they were using when I walked into the place. *Technically this is still in process due to cowboys not knowing how to follow directions or having a fleeting clue about best practice when installing fibre ie, put turns in the turning pit instead of just running it straight around the corner and hope it doesnt break, and when I say put in the empty subterranean pipe so it can be sealed, don't put it in the pipe with all the fecking electrically and firealarm cables and leave it unsealed...and breath.........I digress, it all works, but one of them needs to be pulled out and completely redone. #yes, really, they had 250 machines running a mix of 95, 98 and XP all on a 10mb hub backbone. GAH!
×
×
  • Create New...