Midget
Members-
Posts
1,313 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Midget
-
Error deleting files or folder message
Midget replied to speckytecky's topic in How do you do....it?
you need to take ownership of the directory first, and then you can delete it. -
~1200kids, 350machines, 20 laptops, 3 servers, and me, the IT Technician who does absobloodylutely everything.
-
CDT stick to the CDT dept and they have some nice tea, so I tend to go there. Never bother with the staff room except to get stuff from my pigeonhole.
-
are you trying to log into the domain instead of the local machine?
-
We used to have a few wireless bridges to connect the remote cabins. These have been replaced with fibre, as such the APs were rendered useless, so were recovered for this job.
-
Ive just got 3 iPAQ hx2490's and they seem pretty good, but would be better if I could customise the UI a bit more, ie. put a link to IE on the front screen. We are using recovered Buffalo AirStations to supply the wireless link. Should all be installed next week so fingers crossed.
-
we have the access version, seems pretty good, but searchstar is shit unless it has full access to the c drive and the share. Got it sort of working by using a script to copy the whole eclipse2 dir from the librarian to a full access share folder. This way if they somehow gain access they cant delete the librarians copy.
-
£20k!!!? I really need to look into how much this is costing us, because I always get fobbed off, or people don't know, or they think that it's free.
-
I find changing the XP theme does that all by itself. I use Windows classic (much faster than luna) on my profile, and some kid asked why I was using Windows 98 I had the librarian ask me that when I altered her profile to be a bit faster and have more local admin rights (for her library software).
-
Yeah, it's much better to be forced to buy a new machine for £3k when they update their OS
-
Funky front ends for SIMs for registration and assessment
Midget replied to Midget's topic in MIS Systems
A few thumbs up for TASC PARS then, how much does it cost? What do those with these PC based systems do in the case of a fire alarm? pete: This is a DGS-3024 w/ 3 SFF fibre modules. Thinking about it, it is possible that power problems could have effected it, it's wierd, the fibre works fine, but if you have more than 8 machines running off the copper ports it screws up, nm dlink will swap it out on monday so I am happy. Hmm 450va 1u APC UPS for £100 on dabs, might be worth it to protect £800 worth of kit. -
Funky front ends for SIMs for registration and assessment
Midget replied to Midget's topic in MIS Systems
this is the pathways system for you to have a look at http://www.lisol.co.uk/solutions/pathways/index.aspx We chose it mainly for it student report writing ability apparently, I had nothing to do with it except saying that we should just upgrade the bromcom network as its safer to have the seperate PDAs in case the curriculum network went down.....like what happened 1 hour ago, damn dlink fibre switches.... and in the case of a fire. Any system that has been given the thumbs up for working well with SIMs will be forwarded into the options list. -
I want to do this for the staff at least ie, ADSL/Cable line with a PC set as a proxy server on both networks and just change the proxy settings for the staff GPO. Obviously the link would have to stay there as well due to admin needing it for whatever they use it for. (finance packages/intranet etc) but it is just too slow to be usable for browsing (SWS is rubbish) If the speeds are high enough I would consider installing filtering and moving the kids over as well, but just the teachers w/ unrestrictive, so that they can actually teach, would be fine for now. on this note, any one know a good way to log people's usage using their NTDomain username?
-
Right, having been "using" (in the loosest possible terms) Lisol Pathways for the last 2 months I can say that it is unreservedly sh1t+, and I'd highly recommend that noone else should waste their time and money on it. So back to the question at hand, what other software is out there to perform this role (other than BromCom, which is what has been replaced - unless the latest version is spectacular) and changing the whole system to Serco is _NOT_ an option, we cannot get rid of SIMs *Throws open the stage* +damn filters
-
£45 for non-dell parts boggo PSU £13 that £40/machine saving by going with Dell is less and less tempting The last time we had one of ours fail, we sent it back to dell and they just sent us a whole new (higher spec, diff case) machine instead as it was easier and/or cheaper for them. Fills you with confidence.
-
OK then just tried this out, i got it working as admin whoopyay *does a dance* so get the teacher to log in and.............doesn't work. I hate flash. What's wrong with doing things properly?
-
I wouldn't expect someone on scale 2 to be able to turn on a computer or identify the base unit, never mind change refresh rates, but then I'm cynical.
-
can it be done with MSIs and GPO? I wouldn't look forward to doing that on 340+ machines
-
I thought they'd say that and I even lowered all the security down to allow EVERYTHING! and it still wouldn't work. I really wish they wouldn't make such shit IE based software.
-
/me rubs chin. This might be actually worth a look if it really is less hassle, which would be good when I leave and someone non linux literate has to pick it up. Surely for backup you can just set it to copy the mailbox file/s to a NAS and then backup that periodically?
-
Just Click is just a name on the box, i have no idea who is the publisher and who is the programming house, one or t'other thats why i put both names. sorry for confusion THANK YOU! for the link, they are gettign the same problems, i'll have a look through the posts and try and work it out. Glad I'm not the only one.
-
Thats one of them, we have Horizons 1-3 and then 3 others, they've bought the 1000+ users licence for £300ea per title, so want it site wide. Even installed stand alone it doesnt work. It truly is the most appalling software I've ever seen sold. Midget
-
sounds good, is it free?
-
Dodgy geography resource, that uses java and flash. Basically it is SHITE Have any of you come across it and had success rolling it out on a network and have it actually work? I've played with all security settings and I still cannot get it to go past the flashy intro, it just stays there. Help!?
-
Best intro is to have a look here http://www.flatmtn.com/computer/Linux-EmailServer.html A nice little semi-basic step by step guide to Setting Up a Linux Email Server in an NT Domain I shall be doing something similar myself over the next month if I get some time* except I'm considering using some desktop app (outlook/pegasys/thunderbird) which ever one is the easiest to deploy * atm I'm trying to get the PoS Lisol registration system we've adopted working (against my complaints of it being a step backwards from BromCom - esp for firedrills, we now have no way of doing them other than printing off a full attendance register in the AM and the PM - 34sheets each) oh yeah, and the PoS Nelson Thornes software.... *goes off to educational software forum* Midget
