Norbert
Members-
Posts
201 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Norbert
-
Oman. Canada-y no go past without more of these Bahrain puns? I'll politely ask you all to Bhutan it. Right - I'm getting Hungary and thirsty so I'm off to get a Brunei served in a China cup by Beyonce - Singapore.
-
Please do tell us an udder one
-
Crikey, a Sudan rush of country based puns. Have we many more Togo?
-
Somewhere near Africa they've been looking at alternatively powered transport. I believe that they've madagascar.
-
Been into photography for a while now and even manage to make some extra cash doing it semi-professionally too. I find it good for the blood pressure! Here are a few of my efforts - quality of them a bit mangled as they came off Farcebook.
-
Software repacements for Serif WebPlus and MoviePlus
Norbert replied to jslate1980's topic in Educational Software
Looks like we'll stick with Serif until it dies. We've considered the Adobe route (which would be my preferred option) but it is too expensive and Expression Studio is a bit complex for some of our year groups. Serif did ring me the other day to try and flog me their new software and I've told them exactly what I think of the direction they are going in - they were left in no doubt that there will be no point pursuing sales in this direction! -
Debian LAMP server which we've integrated with AD for logins and restricted those who can login to a particular AD group (something like Student Web Developers) - works well.
-
I'd happily do this here but nobody has ever satisfactorily explained the rules surrounding personally identifiable information being held out there in O365 (don't start me on staff anonymising stuff 'cos they don't and the SLT haven't got a clue about it either so are not inclined to enforce it) or given me any real method of providing granular backups which are cost effective enough for the amount of data we have kicking around.
-
Older Birchfield titles on Windows 7 / Mapped network drive
Norbert replied to Norbert's topic in Educational Software
Thanks for the suggestion but sadly not an option in this case Looks like local install is all I've got left open to me. Ho hum - time to fire up the kettle! -
At long last we are moving to Windows 7. I've got most of the software up and running (and given the age of some of this I'm amazed!) but I'm having bother with the older Birchfield titles such as Nervous System and The Earth's Structure. These appear to use a file to the root of the C: drive to show that the software is registered but, given the way Windows 7 works, this is no longer possible unless you are an administrator. Logging on as a local administrator causes the software to run properly. I can't run the software as an administrator and grant these rights to all users as the software is installed on a network drive. I don't want to give all users local administrator rights or switch off UAC. I have already given Domain Users Full Control over the password files in the root of C: but to no avail. I suppose that I could just install these titles on the image and run as administrator but there is a pile as tall as the science block to chew through! Anyone else got these older titles working under Windows 7 whilst running them from a network drive? Cheers!
-
Hello all, We have had an A3 Epson which we used to put special cartridges in for printing directly onto fabric four our textiles department. This has been left to dry out and completely jiggered the heads up and it is beyond economical repair. I've been tasked with specifying a new A3 printer to replace it. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a device. I've heard tales that HP inkjets use pigment inks and that these are just the ticket but , of course, they don't list cotton as one of the medium that they are happy to have run through their machines! Any pointers in the right direction would be most grateful. Thanks. Rob
-
Being 6'2" and 20 stone, I AM the AUP! Anyone mucking about with network security like that needs a kick and quickly. I cannot think of one decent honest reason for this member of staff to be secretly playing with Ranger services. If my technician has an idea that needs Ranger stopping then she'd let me know and I'd let her get on with it. This member of staff needs dragging up before the principal. And then turning into kebabs. Oh, and then you might like to think about locking things down a little. How about a Ranger React task that pops up a message when this user tries it next time? Scare the living daylights out of them with a message saying something like "WARNING. Your screen has been captured as you are attempting to bypass network security." capture their screen and show it to the head honcho. This job can make one such a cheery type!
-
A few pointers (possibly). Check that the clocks on the clients are synchronised properly with the DCs and that the servers themselves are all showing the same time. You could also try renewing all the DHCP leases and also perform a manual scavenge of DNS addresses. You might equally find that this settles down after a day or two by itself - these tetchy servers really don't appreciate being distured in their work!
-
Davory and Winhex are pretty fine data recovery programs and are pretty cheap considering the amount of functionality that you get with them. I've used them in school and in a commercial environment and the information they can recover is awesome. We also use a little free program called flopshow which has managed to get back around 95% of files from floppy disks that have been kicking around in a bag with smelly socks and muddy football boots.
