Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidnuts

Members
  • Posts

    48
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidnuts

  1. Thanks for the reply Chris, posted this on experts exchange too, replies were pretty much the same as yours. Was advised to stay away from RAID5 though and go down the route on RAID10. Think we'll have a go at this over the summer hols. Got inspection in a couple of weeks so will leave things as there are until then.
  2. Thank you for the reply, yes on RAID5
  3. Our server is a HP Proliant ML330 G6, with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installed. We currently have 3x240gb harddisks installed onto a P410 Smart Array controller (RAID5). Our problem is, we have just purchased 3x2tb harddisks with the hope of replacing the current 3x240gb disks. We have run a full backup job (using windows backup) of our server, replaced the 240gb disks with the 2tb disks and restored the backup. But when we check the size of the new disks it is showing only 240gb not the 4tb capacity we were expecting. Is there a way we can resize the disks after restoring the backup?
  4. Imported them using the import function on the system portal. I assigned each user a custom attribute denoting staff/pupil/admin/etc, and want to set up a distribution list based on these attributes, so I really want a script which will assign all users to a certain DL based on this switch, so to speak. Does that make sense? Cheers for the quick response, btw!
  5. Can anyone help me with some powershell stuff. Basically, have set up the online mail server and imported users into it with a CSV file. I put a column in there called "CurrentAttribute1" which split the users into Staff/pupil/admin etc, and now I want to set up a group based on these attributes. Trouble is, it only lets me do it from powershell cmdlets. I can't even find the get cmdlet to return the full list of imported attributes, let alone start to build a group with them. Anyone got any ideas? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, btw!
  6. Scratch that. Sorted. Had the share name wrong in Deploy studio server.
  7. Hi there. We've just got round to using deploy studio, but whenever I click on the play button from the workflow menu, I get "Repository Access error - blah blah blah". It doesn't want to mount the repository on the server. Help!
  8. Hi, We've got Staff laptops which need offline files available for loading the desktop. Works fine when on the network, and when not connected to any network. However, when they connect to home wireless network, it still tries to synchronise with the server. Have looked at group policy admin>network>offline files settings, but can't seem to work out why it is still doing this. Any ideas? Incidentally, if I disable offline files, it just doesn't load any desktop when not connected, and comes up with a "server not available" error message.
  9. Had a look on a couple of sites and maybe open directory hasn't been configured correctly. I have just looked at the link provided and will go through it tomorrow, page 28 of the PDF looks promising. I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my questions
  10. Thank you for your quick reply. So I would assign groups on the macs to control group preferences? So if the users created on the windows server are listed on the Mac server, users should log on to the macs ok? So I'm missing something on the Mac clients. Thanks again, will give this another look tomorrow when I'm in work
  11. Our Mac server (snow leopard) has successfully binded to our windows AD and the AD users are showing on the the Mac Server. What we cannot do is allow users to log on to the macs. Are we missing something in workgroup manager? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, haven't a clue about macs, thinking about it haven't got much of a clue on windows server 2008 r2 either.
  12. Apparently even though it says that our readynas nv+ rnd4210 can be added to a domain, there is a problem adding 1 to windows 2008 r2, problem being the 64bit part...I have read that many also have had this problem and some have managed to sort it...bu there is know guides on how to do this. I've given up on it now, spent best part of 4 hours trying to sort it.
  13. We have just purchased two Readynas NV+ 4210 devices and we would like to add it to our windows 2008 r2 server to be used as a file server for our users. Before we purchased these devices we had read that this was achievable. But after many hours of attempts we cannot add it to our server. A guide or any help on this problem would help us out a lot. Thank you, David
  14. Sorry, I have only installed it in a couple of schools as a standalone...and I can remember that it only asked for a school ID, which could be any set of numbers. I can recall when you purchase RM maths for a network install, you get a license agreement with a license number. Maybe your school just purchased a standalone install?
  15. To my knowledge RM maths doesnt have serial number...rm maths used to use the dongle. I have installed RM Maths 4.1 a couple of times in the past, has asked me for a 'School ID'or something once the teachers program was run, you can enter any number you like for the school id, it still will run.
  16. I'm running 1 pc with freenas installled...been running great since October 2008, never switched off. I had trouble setting it up at first, then by coincidence Pcpro published an article on how to set 1 up...found a link to there web site, had a quick glance, seems almost the same 1 I followed last..but 1-2 years older. PC Pro: Blogs & Analysis: Real World Computing: NAS for free If thats no good, I could scan the article for you and send it...It is quite detailed
  17. I'm not 100% that he did it that way, but I did disabled boot to usb/dvd etc, disabled safemode. His teacher made him show me how he did it, I must have made the guest account and administrator by mistake.
  18. He opened a folder, typed computer, when the window opened, vista displays a link called 'open control panel', he clicked that, enabled the guest user, ran command prompt and changed the admin password using the net user command. Cant believe I missed that one, disabled control panel for all users...hopefully that should sort it. I would have thought steadystate would has disallowed creation of new users, maybe I missed something whilst I was configuring it. At least no damage was done.
  19. Found out how he did it, little monkey...hats off to him though
  20. Thank you for the quick response, all of the pc's have the latest updates etc.. Only 3 of us know the admin password (hopefully) Just had another look at 1 of the PC's with admin password that have been changed and it looks as if he managed to enable the guest user. Been googling for about an hour now to work this one out with no luck.
  21. We have a suite of 10 standalone pc’s, with vista business and steadystate 2.5 installed, with 1 admin and 3 limited users. One of the teachers mentioned this morning that a pupil has changed the administrator’s passwords…checked the pc’s and sure enough he has gone around on a number of pc’s and changed the Admin passwords. After an interrogation from one of the teachers, he actually admitted to using the command prompt, but wont say much else. The only way I know of changing the password via command prompt is using the ‘net user’ command. But this shouldn’t work as command prompt has been disabled and he was logged in on a limited user. Does anybody else know of another way somebody could change the admin passwords on a limited user? Any help would be definitely appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...