Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

AB_IT

Members
  • Posts

    305
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AB_IT

  1. Morning Everyone I've got this weird problem here I've never seen before. A member of staff called yesterday saying she'd been sent an email but it wasn't going into her inbox. I checked our firewall and could see this email had been scanned and delivered to the mail server. I then checked the exchange logs in PS and couldn't find any trace of the email at all. Upon restarting the mail server suddenly loads of emails came rushing through to everybody and it started working again. This has happened before and I was wondering if anyone had seen this kind of problem? It's an exchange 2016 server. Strange thing is some emails get through fine and others, normally external emails don't so it still looks like everything is working until someone notices and reports. Thanks in advance!
  2. It's really annoying now but it's not giving me the option to just upgrade. Does anyone have any other ideas, if I can just get to the gui I'm winning!
  3. Ah OK maybe that's the next step to try, I'll give it a go and see if it upgrades normally. Thank you!
  4. Cheers mate, unfortunately I can't get into terminal using any of the shortcuts I used to be able to before I reinstalled the desktop and unity but since it's been doing this I get nothing. No the words comes up just because it's showing all the services and applications it's loaded. Oh god. Please don't say that, it was such a faff getting it setup how I wanted in the first place I'd hate to have to reconfigure everything again. There has to be something I can try, it's frustrating because like I say if I load plex on my phone it's still working so everything is working I just can't get to the GUI or terminal. When using a USB stick to reinstall 20.04 does it give you the option to upgrade over the top or does Ubuntu just give you the option of a fresh wipe?
  5. Hey All Hopefully someone can help, I have a home server running Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop which has my plex server installed on it. I tried to update it to 20.04 as I was sick of the prompt and since then I've been having issues with it. At first it restarted and put me back to the login page, so when I logged in it would just freeze and wouldn't go to my desktop. I then entered the terminal and used commands to reinstall desktop and Unity I think, found it on a forum and since then it's doing the following. It's strange because when it gets to the end screen I can access my plex library so it is loading things I just can't do anything, type anything or see the gui it's just stuck at a black screen with a white text marker at the top. I'd rather not have to reinstall ubuntu from scratch it took me ages to configure it how I wanted and as I'm just a novice it'll take me ages again! Any help would be most appreciated!
  6. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm ripping my hair out over this! Edit: it actually won't ping any IP address outside of its subnet just always says network is unreachable.
  7. Cheers Matthew. I think I've figured it all out now except I have one issue. My controller is on a different subnet 192.196.91.1 and the USG Pro is currently on 192.168.63.1. I currently have my laptop connected to the 63 subnet and can ping the unifi controller fine from my laptop, the unifi controller can ping my laptop fine also but for some reason it won't reach the USG Pro, seems to be the only device on the network that won't communicate both ways? Got any idea why? When I try to run a ping using SSH from the USG Pro I get the following and running it from the server I get a request timed out. Linux ubnt 3.10.107-UBNT #1 SMP Wed Apr 8 20:43:58 UTC 2020 mips64 ___ ___ .__________.__ | | |____ |__\_ ____/__| | | / \| || __) | | © 2010-2020 | | | | \ || \ | | Ubiquiti, Inc. |______|___| /__||__/ |__| |_/ https://www.ui.com Welcome to EdgeOS on UniFi Security Gateway! ********************** WARNING! ********************** * Configuration changes made here are not persistent. * * They will be overwritten by the controller on next * * provision. Configuration must be done in controller. * ********************************************************Last login: Thu Jan 1 02:48:04 2015 from 192.168.63.56ubnt@ubnt:~$ ping 192.196.91.1connect: Network is unreachableubnt@ubnt:~$ ping 192.196.91.1connect: Network is unreachableubnt@ubnt:~$
  8. Hey All Just planning for a deployment. Basically I work for a non-profit care home provider and we have head office where all the servers reside and a about 10 homes under our belt. I'm trying to work this out in my head but I'm struggling a bit. Basically we currently use SonicWall (Similar to Smoothwall) and have one at HO along with one in each home to connect each home to our IPSec Site to Site VPN. This allows all homes under us to be able to connect to the servers here at HO. Our Unifi Controller is all pre-setup with the VPN settings etc... to connect to our Sonicwall but what I can't get my head around is as soon as I take out the current Sonicwall for Home A and replace it with the USG it won't be provisoned yet and won't have an active VPN connection to contact the Unifi Controller at HO to get the settings. Sorry I know it's confusing I'm trying to explain it as best I can. So my thoughts are the VPN connection and IP address of the USG will need to be set before putting it into the network but how on earth am I supposed to do that. Both Smoothwall and SonicWall appliances tend to have a VGA port so you can hook up a screen and mouse and get the majority of the appliance setup before putting it into the network but obviously USG's don't work like that and need to communicate first with a controller in order to get the settings to do anything. If anyone can help aleviate my concerns I'd really appreciate it. Thank you
  9. I've just ordered another, will chuck these two. Seems there's no saving them
  10. Definetley not a counterfeit, purchased from PC World a while back.
  11. No format option on my dash cam it's just a cheapo one, worked for 4 years fine though just recently. The weird thing is I can write to both SD Cards fine.
  12. Just tried, no luck again! It's a MicroSD card so it doesn't have anything like that. Believe it or not I've tried both and a different computer. It's so frustrating lol!
  13. Just tried, seemed to do something and then when I opened the drive everything is still in there.. Like seriously!!
  14. Yeah, sorry. Tried the clean function.
  15. Hey All I've tried every trick in the book but everytime I try to format these SD Cards Windows keeps giving an error message saying it's failed. I've used Disk Manager, tried to format them to NTFS, used EaseUS formatter and the SDCard Formatter applications. I can read what's on the SD Cards and it comes up fine, I've also ran a chkdsk on them and tried diskpart but to no avail. Chkdsk says it's fine. I can write new things to it but as soon as I try to delete stuff manually it says it's deleted and then when you refresh it all comes back again. Both SD Cards are the same, they where in my cars dash cam. Any help would be most appreciated
  16. Hello All Hoping someone can help. We're looking for some good hosted HR & Payroll solutions. We currently have nothing in place, we have Sage for Payroll but it's dreadful and nothing but paper records for HR. I know a lot of schools use whatever is dictated to the school by the local authority but if any of you have any ideas it'd really help. I've looked at iTrent although they seem expensive. Ciphr seem good but I was just wondering if any of you have got some experience with these types of systems and could reccomend something? Thanks
  17. Thanks everyone, OK noted not to worry [emoji106] Stay safe and look after yourselves.
  18. Ethernet is indoor cable but kept in trunking, didn't have any external so didn't use it, figures if the sun damaged it I could just run a new one [emoji16] Same with power just standard 2.5mm twin and earth, not going under ground or anything literally coming out of the hole 0.5 meter trunking to a power outlet. Will this still be ok?
  19. Hi All This isn't a work related question it's for my home. I've basically got a waterproof unifi AP in the back garden which goes through a hole I've drilled in the brick work. I want to use this same hole to push a 2.5mm electric cable through to extend my ring main to the outside. The hole will be the only point where they'll be together as data runs to the left and electric runs to the right. Will this cause any issues and if so is there a way to maybe offset the interference by wrapping data cable in foil or something similar? Sorry for the stupid question but the wife won't be happy if I have to drill another hole [emoji4] Hope you're all staying safe!
  20. Hi All So I get how to create mandatory profiles, roaming, Redirected and local profiles. I tend to go with the option on using a redirected profile and mandatory for students. But my new place of work has all user profiles setup like this Looks alien to me, I've looked in Group Policy and in AD to see if I can make any sense on how these profiles get created and what happens but there's nothing in there? I'm just trying to understand how the system generates these in this particular location without being told to do so in AD or GP? Sorry if I'm being an idiot but hopefully one of you guys can help!
  21. I'm doing my best to do eveything I can to protect others, I'm washing my hands reguarly for 20 seconds a time. Issue is they don't tell you what to do if you suffer with Eczema and I can get it pretty severly on my hands! Anti Bacterial Soap and Hand Sanitizer is awful on my skin and if you where to see my hands now they look burnt, but there's no advice for this kind of thing. I've been trying to use my own soap which is better but I can only get away with a Dove Bar which is impossible to carry everywhere but even excessive washing with that causes my hands to peel!
  22. Really? I went on Apples website, clicked order and it was £969 for just the tablet??
  23. NSFW but thought some immature souls like me would appreciate this!
  24. Looks like a nice bit of kit but again far too expensive the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 is around £800 all in wih pen and keyboard. When I saw your price I thought it included the pen and keyboard so was going to order one but that was short lived
  25. Jesus. Sorry about the delay in getting back, I'm sure Corona is causing you guys to be busy also, just has to setup 24 tablets for Skype! Thanks for looking into this, it dosen't sound great. I knew it'd be too good to be true! Yes I'm already starting to plan for things that need sorting, all switches are different random brands, no vlan's, licensing is a mess, user profiles are stored as virtual hard disk files which I can't for the life of me figure out how it's done, the IT Manager currently here has banned me speaking to the Tech Company that apparently does majority of the networking work... Not sure why but he has been backed by the bursar! So I'm a sitting duck here basically waiting for him to leave. I have voiced some concerns and I think they're taking it on board. Going to send me down to the Tech Company soon to be with them for a couple of days on my own so I can ask any questions, unsure as to why I couldn't have just watched them work via TeamViewer as that's how I've learnt in the past but up-a-day! Yes still running Exchange, they do want to move away from this to O365 but he dosen't believe in it. He has no records of Windows server licenses or a topology or a disaster recovery policy! It's pretty bad! He's 67 and needs to retire, worked as a Property Manager before and has 'Taught' himself things as he's gone. He hasn't done a terrible job but I think that's more down to the Tech Support company he's using that have done majority of the work than himself. Though one person to run 14 sites is a lot to ask also so I can't blame him entirely. When he leave apparently I'm getting a team! From all of that I'm enjoying it though! lol
×
×
  • Create New...