sidewinder Posted November 15, 2012 Posted November 15, 2012 Our IT teacher is running a competition where students design posters, and she would like the winner to be put on as a screensaver in our IT suite for a while. It will be supplied to me as a static image. Now the easiest way to do this on one PC would be to use the photos screensaver and point it to a folder with just the one image in it. But while I can force that screensaver to appear, I assume it isn't easy to specify to each PC which photos to display (registry entry?) So instead, as I will have to deploy something anyway, it could be easier to somehow package that image up into a .scr file and use that...but which program will do this for free?
Steve21 Posted November 15, 2012 Posted November 15, 2012 Quite easily to specify photos via reg. Make the screensaver set to the folder you want, then go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Slideshow\Screensaver It'll have a base64 encrypted string (which is the folder path), but you can just export the .reg key via menu. Then you can deploy the key either via startup script etc, or via group policy for windows registry settings. Other option would be use something like VB to create an exe that shows the image, and will close on key press etc, then just rename it to .scr (As it's just an exe renamed) Steve 1
Miscbrah Posted November 15, 2012 Posted November 15, 2012 I wonder if I'm missing something, but Group Policy by OU/WMI filter would be what I'd do.
sidewinder Posted November 15, 2012 Author Posted November 15, 2012 Sounds easy enough, thanks. obviously didnt do enough googling!
SteveBentley Posted November 15, 2012 Posted November 15, 2012 I'd be inclined to check the terminology before going too far - a screensaver with just one image on isn't much of a screensaver (in the traditional preventing burn-in sense) unless you're going to do some form of animation with it. I'd suggest showing the top 3 entries on rotation, perhaps photoshop a caption on stating 1st prize, 2nd prize etc? Are you sure that the teacher really means screensaver and not wallpaper? (People here commonly refer to wallpaper as screensaver for reasons I've never understood)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now