broc Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 All of our teaching staff have laptops & I would like to be able to restrict staff to using school supplied laptops when logging onto Terminal Server from home, rather than their own PCs. How easy is this to achieve? One way I had thought of was a logon script to check if %clientname% was known in AD and if not log the user off, can anyone else come up with a better idea?
Guest kerrymoralee9280 Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 I'm not sure how you'd do it, but do you mind me asking why you'd want to do it?
broc Posted June 26, 2007 Author Posted June 26, 2007 Our recently set up TS environment is intended to provide access to SIMS.net & this relies upon MS Office 2003 for reports etc. Apart from needing TS cals , I was told that each client PC accessing this environment requires an MS Office 2003 licence. I can only guarantee that school supplied laptops comply with this requirement. I was told this by our LA, this information is based upon a conversation between the LA IT Support staff and Microsoft at a recent MS Software Licencing event.
Norphy Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 Are your staff connecting in via a VPN or connecting directly to a published terminal server? With a VPN, you can set it up to only allow machines with a certificate to connect. You could probably do similar with RDP, I don't know.
Guest kerrymoralee9280 Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 Yeah, it would make more sense to me if you set up a VPN on your staff laptops for SIMS.net. Surely if you have Office licenses within school that's fine. After all, Office is installed on the TS and not the client. TS is used so staff can access their work from anywhere within the world and have a similar interface to what their used to. I would say a VPN would more suit your needs and would be easier to set up.
Geoff Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 With Citrix, you control this in the 'Access Gateway' component. Then prevent any connections to the server farm other than those coming via the access gateway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now