Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

How Do I monitor Server Data Input ?.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Now the data Flows ok to our backup server at home http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/97339-home-nas-raid1.html from my daughters laptop at uni automatically, I need to monitor when its done a backup so it can be turned off.

Her laptop should send me a email when it's done a backup but she is having problems with SMTP email server that they use for the private halls and only can use 'webmail'.

 

The only way I can see if any data's flowing into the server is a Network desktop widget on the server.

 

Any idea's please.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Did you end up using something based on rsync? If her laptop initiates the transfer you can set whatever you want to happen at the end by using post-exec in your rsyncd configuration on the server. If it's based on an ssh connection you can probably script a check of the authentication logs for her log out, or grep the process list or who output. It makes more sense for the laptop to be calling the shots though, rather than have the server guessing at what happened. If the laptop has credentials to connect then use them post-backup to tell the server that it's finished.
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hi, I'm sorry I did not know I had a reply.

Yes you have some good idea's thanks I will look into them.

I did get the emails working again from the laptop by using 'Gmail smtp' servers so it now sends me an email when its done a backup.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...