peterdwyer Posted September 10, 2012 Posted September 10, 2012 We have an ever proliferating population of iPads in our school and I've been encouraging staff and students to try HAP on them. I recommend to them that they use Safari rather than any of the billion other browsers are available as Safari seems to work best. However I got the following message from one teacher "when I opened a file from Q drive on my iPad and then tried to go back to navigating the file system, nothing would load. All I get is a screen like that below which doesn't change, even after pressing refresh.". He didn't specify what file he had opened, or what the file type was (I'm going back to see him when he's next in - part timer). The things that I can tell you: . We are running (as far as I know) v8.0.0901.1830 . All drive maps are in upper case . login was using https Any further information you need to help me help you to track down the cause of this problem? As of start of next year, more than 1/3 of our students will be using iPads. Thanks
nickbro Posted September 10, 2012 Posted September 10, 2012 Unfortunately there isn't really any debugging tools available on ios to see what it going on in JS land. Do you have a imac to test it on?
peterdwyer Posted September 10, 2012 Author Posted September 10, 2012 Thanks again for your super-quick response. Yes I can (and will) see if I can replicate tomorrow what he's doing on a Mac running Lion (once I confirm what he was doing). Once I can replicate his problem, I'll get back to you
Marci Posted September 10, 2012 Posted September 10, 2012 There is Firebug lite for iOS via bookmarklet... Firebug For iOS Bookmarklet: Adds A Firebug Console To iOS -- AppAdvice
nickbro Posted September 10, 2012 Posted September 10, 2012 That may work, but I hate apple, and refuse to really touch their devices, so I have no experience with them
peterdwyer Posted September 10, 2012 Author Posted September 10, 2012 I'm right with you in regard to Apple. However the fact is that Apple have done an extremely good job at marketing in the Education sector, at least here in Australia.... so we have to shoe-horn their "personal domestic" devices into our "corporate" environment as best we can. Anyway I tried HAP on Macs running LION and LEOPARD under Safari and both worked properly. The sticking point is iOS on the iPad. I guess that the user had clicked (opened) the chosen file directly from the folder display (I was able to replicate what I *think* he did this way). Upon completing work in the file, I clicked on the <- button to "go back" and that's when it hung. So I tried the following variation without any problem: In Safari, log into HAP From My Files, navigate to drive and folder Touch on required file and keep finger down until a popup menu displays. The top option in the popup menu was "Open in new tab" Chose "open in new tab" When completed accessing the document, closed the "new tab". No hang and files/folders/drives facility was still functional This isn't a solution but it might be a work-around until I can see whether I can get any meaningful information out of Firebug for iOS Thanks
nickbro Posted September 10, 2012 Posted September 10, 2012 Ok, HAP+ hasn't been tested by myself on iOS, it has been tested on Windows 8 RT, in both IE10 Modern and IE10 Desktop. I have 30 ipads at work too, I got forced into it by the headteacher. The whole it department wanted to get 30 more laptops, or hold off until Windows 8. But as usual the IT department are overruled in IT matters
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now