Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We've only just moved up to office 2003 and I was a bit concerned to realise that you can print backgrounds in word! Some pupils have learnt what to tick and we have backgrounds printing all over the place.

So, I downloaded word 2003 adm added it to GPO on the server but the option for printing backgrounds is missing. Has anyone managed to sort this or do you allow it.

Posted
I want to take away the ability to be able to print the background on word documents, there is a setting for everything on the word2003 adm except the one I want.
Posted

Papercut print logger is free, and exports to html csv and xls. Once you have this you can see how many people print what where when.

 

Might help

 

fooby

Posted

chrbb - I *think* what they are getting at is that some print quota systems have a way of detecting how much ink usage there is on a page etc., so that if a user prints alot of ink on each page, their print allowance for that week will end up being less than someone who doesnt print many backgrounds.

 

But on the note at hand, I'm not quite sure where that is in the adm either. Have you checked all the other adm's i.e. it may not be in the Word specific one, but perhaps another one in the set of the adm's.

 

Let us know if u find it though :)

 

Nath.

Posted

We have had people printing backgrounds here in word. I dont think disabling it will help as all you then need to do is add an object full of colour and stretch it to fill the page?

 

A round of discipline and removal of email / internet access might convince students otherwise... ;)

 

fooby

Posted

Still if you really really want to.

 

You will need

 

Regshot

DesktopStandard Registry (free)

Sticky back plastic (always need this)

 

Get Word open with the setting un ticked. Close it, open it check its unticked.

 

Do a regshot and save it (or something like that - its obvious when you look at the program)

 

tick the option - maybe close and open word?

 

do the second shot and compare

 

find the registry entry relating to disable of backgrounds

 

install and deploy desktopstandard registry

 

add the entries to a group policy object

 

???

 

profit!!

 

hope this helps

 

btw desktopstandard registry is amazing :)

Posted
tahnks I'll try that. What I'm trying to do is shut the stable door before the horse etc etc. No doubt some pupil will fill an object with colour, but that's not happened yet, we've only just starting using word 2003 so background printing is new and the kids just love jazzy backgrounds in word docs!
Posted

Possibly... however it is useful then in the future for more custom reg key deployments as the client will have been deployed.

 

I use it for quite a few custom reg key entries here.

 

I think the reg key import idea would be quicker to implement, as it wouldn't require deploying the software and then the GPO. Each to their own - I like the shiny GUI of DesktopStandard.

 

fooby

Posted

This is now driving me crazy.

I've disabled 'tools-options' so the pupils can't change properties there, but when you go to file print there is the options button on the printer window to change print properties there. I've searched for a command bar id to disable this whilst still allowing the darlings to print, so, how do i find out if it has an id and if not maybe i could attch an id to it and then disable it.

I've looked at printer monitoring but what I really want is to restrict printing options.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...