Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

1. One work laptop ( very low spec ) which I have on short term / temp loan to do some studying

2. It currently has XP SP 3 on it but has so much software etc it is running slowly

 

My question is I am trying to do online MS Course(s) / training more to the point but wanted to know if it is possible to do this via linux as think I need flash / silver light / shockwave etc and if this is possible which Distro of linux should I go with.

 

I am aware of

 

* Ubuntu

* Mint

* Suse

* Knoppix

 

Just to name a few but am a total Linux Noob :)

 

Thanks

Posted

This must be the most surreal post I've read in a long time. You want to know the best linux distro to use to do a microsoft course.. hmm.

I don't often say this, but in this case; the tool for the job is to USE WINDOWS!!!

 

 

it's moonlight your thinking of btw.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Seeing as it is web based training I was hoping to use a more stable OS without all the windows memory leaks / issues etc. Just thought I would ask. Can format it or whatever

 

Lenovo T61p with Intel T7700 @ 2.4 Ghz, 2gb ram and 160 gb hdd.

 

Just wanted it quick and snappy minus memory leaks, registry etc But if I need windows then I guess I need windows

 

Just thought it was worth an ask :)

Posted (edited)
Seeing as it is web based training I was hoping to use a more stable OS without all the windows memory leaks / issues etc.

Windows 7 is a lot better than XP in that respect. Just install the software you need and you should be fine. The main cause for memory leaks etc. is poorly coded third-party software.

 

Lenovo T61p with Intel T7700 @ 2.4 Ghz, 2GB ram and 160GB hdd.

That's not too bad. At least it wasn't a 1GHz Celeron with 256MB RAM and a 20GB HDD. :)

Edited by Arthur
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Seeing as it is web based training I was hoping to use a more stable OS without all the windows memory leaks / issues etc.

 

I'm tempted to ask why you're bothering with the training when you've apparently already made your mind up about Windows.

Posted
I'm tempted to ask why you're bothering with the training when you've apparently already made your mind up about Windows.

 

I don't determine what companies or places use, windows is used a lot in organisations. Active Directory, server operating systems and thats without the client OSes

 

I came here to ask a question to see if it was possible, not to have an arguement

Posted

I've only got XP SP 3 myself

 

My original thought was I could do the ms course and with linux on it could maybe learn a bit more about linux and it would be stable and a bit faster

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...