Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

After having some rather nasty dental work done (four rather complex wisdom teeth removed) I have been left unable to speak for a while. Finding this to be annoying I thought to myself that I have a Windows laptop that has TTS (text to speech) built in.

 

A few lines of VBS later and I have a magic speaking machine which has proved very helpful:

 

c:\scripts\Say.vbs

set s = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice")
do While 1
Voice = inputbox("what to say")
wscript.echo "> " & Voice
s.Speak Voice
loop

 

With a nice little shortcut running it in cscript

 

C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe /NoLogo c:\scripts\say.vbs

 

Not pretty at all but it says what you type when you hit enter and outputs a log to the command window in case the TT version is indecipherable. I changed the font size in the command window up to 16 and it seems to work really well for the simple hack that it is.

 

I might make it better but I don't think I'd be mute for long so it serves my current needs. Just thought it might help someone some day.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I might make it better but I don't think I'd be mute for long so it serves my current needs. Just thought it might help someone some day.

 

Without it just sounding like I'm taking the pee, Henry hoover + talking script + self reset password machine = genius! :)

 

Who needs to talk to kids ever again!

 

Steve

Posted
Without it just sounding like I'm taking the pee, Henry hoover + talking script + self reset password machine = genius! :)

 

Who needs to talk to kids ever again!

 

Steve

 

Click, Hello IT, pause, click, have you tried turning it off and on again

 

For those with a nice old school Windows CE or Windows Mobile device this little app allows the same kind of thing on a phone:

Download Flite 1.3 for Windows Mobile PocketPC Free - Flite text-to-speech is a speech synthesis engine. It offers a full text to speech system with various APIs, as well an environment for development and research of speech synthesis techniques - So

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...