Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all,

 

I have a few questions about a new Exchange 2010 setup I am supporting. It is spread over 4 servers. 2 CAD's and 2 Mailbox servers. The Cad's are also the hub transport servers. There is no Edge Transport server.

They have several e-mail domains and they are all setup as accepted domains. Although there is no one Authoritative domain set as yet. The reason for this I think is there is also a pop server (mdaemon) which there are still some pop accounts on and historically was the main mail server. That then pushes mail from those accounts to the exchange server.

I have setup a separate e-mail mailbox for one of those other email domains but it is not receiving. I am able to send from that account but not recieve.

The Exchange servers have the receiver connectors setup for this account. But there are other pre-existing accounts on this domain that do work fine, so I mimicked them as far as I can see, but still no joy.

 

I know I need to probably try track the message to see if it is even appearing on the Exchange radar. but it will not let me do that without an Authoritative domain setup.

 

So I suppose my question is, will setting it up with an Authoritative domain make it try take over from the other pop server? And if not then will it potentially solve any of my problems? Or at least be a step in the right direction?

Otherwise is there anything else I should be looking at? Do I need to put an Edge transport server in play?

 

Thanks much in advance.

Posted

Do you mean CAS roles not CAD :)

 

It just so happens i am 60% through with a MDaemon to Exchange migration. I have accounts that live on one domain split between the 2 systems. They should all be on exchange in the next few weeks.

 

You wont be receiving mail on exchange because your MX records are not pointing to the Exchange. At the moment you dont want to do that you just want to forward them onto the exchange from Mdaemon. Follow this guide, it works a treat :) - Frank’s corner » Blog Archive » MDaemon to Microsoft Exchange migration

Posted

Thanks FN-GM. Very interesting read. And yes, CAS roles, not CAD. :)

 

Unfortunately I have looked over the way they have it setup (and working for all per-exisiting users) is different to the way Frank said to do it.

 

For instance, where he said to go to Unknown mail and tick it to send to host, that is not currently ticked. Also, under the relay security settings non of the bottom 6 boxes are ticked, so neither SMTP must exist if using local domain, except if trusted domain, as well as the SMTP Rcpt must exist, unless trusted domain.

 

Under trusted domains they have the IP scope that the exchange exists on with a wildcard at the end, as well as some other servers.

 

I think the problem was that in the past they had a problem with the Mdaemon server not being able to push the data to the exchange server, so they put an IMAP forwarder server in place as an intermediary. Now, I don't know if that is still needed, but don't really want to go changing things on the Mdaemon server while there are still users using it without being sure what I change doesn't stop them from working.

 

I have checked the MX records on my ISP and they are pointing to my Firewall (Palo Alto) external IP. Palo Alto is new to me so I cannot find where it says where requests to that IP go to, but I am guessing they point back to the Mdaemon server.

 

So, any other suggestions? Or should I just follow Franks notes and hope for the best?

Posted

Ok. I think I have solved one of my problems. I had to go into Mdaemon to create an Alias for my other e-mail domain within my main e-mail account.

Although it does seem terribly slow in receiving mail. Is there any way I can try see why that is? Or any other suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Posted
I think ashared namespace will help if the the non-exchange system can accept this type of setup which I suspect it should.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...