fiza Posted May 7, 2012 Posted May 7, 2012 If anyone is using LGFL 2.0 email and Spiceworks can you tell me how you set up the spiceworks email? From what I understand you are not permitted generic email accounts with LGFL 2.0. normally spiceworks will be something like [email protected]. some advice would be appreciated.
hit Posted May 8, 2012 Posted May 8, 2012 Im just going throught the same here and cant get a straight answer out of Atomwide! What I am thinking is to set up a little linux mail server here and relay it through their secure relay. Im not sure on how to get stuff back though, I think it's only going to be a one way (outbound) thing!
psydii Posted May 8, 2012 Posted May 8, 2012 Can you get a public folder created in their exchange site?
hit Posted May 8, 2012 Posted May 8, 2012 Can you get a public folder created in their exchange site? They have something called shared folders which you can add an alias to but I can't work out how you access it without using outlook (logged into your own mailbox), they are very vague about it all. I really should get our own mail server running instead of being dictated to what we can't do!
glennda Posted May 8, 2012 Posted May 8, 2012 Just going to say Zimbra seems very good at the moment! Spent the last few days playing with the Network Version and in comparison to Exchange seems really straight forward.
Brendan0808 Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 I have exactly the same problem, i have been discussing it with Atomwide and LGfL for ages and cannot get any simple advice. I believe i have found a workaround, its a bit long winded but does work. I will post up all the details soon.
hit Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 I believe i have found a workaround, its a bit long winded but does work. I will post up all the details soon. Oh please do, not worried about long winded as that just now appears to be par for the course with anything LGfL ralated
hit Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 Just setup a Gmail account and forward it Oh you think we haven't tried that, blocked ports and all that. See this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/internet-related-filtering-firewall/85567-lgfl-2-0-problems-5.html
Brendan0808 Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 Here goes, you need to setup a shared mailbox on the back of your own lgflmail mailbox on Atomwides system. Call it ICTTech or whatever you would like. Once that is done, get the full mailbox address, it's usually in the format of [email protected], this is also on the Atomwide system. Then setup Spiceworks email settings as below; Outgoing email - Exchange Server - https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/[email protected] - Your shared mailbox full address Username & password - Your standard username & password Incoming settings - POP Server - mail.lgflmail.org Port - 995 - SSL ticked Username - [email protected]\mailbox???? password - your password I can confirm it does work this way! let me know how you get on, Brendan 2
Brendan0808 Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 The Server line should be 'https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/[email protected] - Your shared mailbox full address
Brendan0808 Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 the only issue with this is when you change your mailbox password (every 60 days) you must remember to change it also in here for Spiceworks!
hit Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 Here goes, you need to setup a shared mailbox on the back of your own lgflmail mailbox on Atomwides system. Call it ICTTech or whatever you would like. Once that is done, get the full mailbox address, it's usually in the format of [email protected], this is also on the Atomwide system. Then setup Spiceworks email settings as below; Outgoing email - Exchange Server - https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/[email protected] - Your shared mailbox full address Username & password - Your standard username & password Incoming settings - POP Server - mail.lgflmail.org Port - 995 - SSL ticked Username - [email protected]\mailbox???? password - your password I can confirm it does work this way! let me know how you get on, Brendan OK, nice one, that looks pretty good for a lot of things, but do you know if you can access via SMTP? Would be great for our internal forums and joomla sites.
hit Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 Hold on, may have answered it myself here: https://support.lgfl.org.uk/public/docs/Staffmail_UG_HR_V1.pdf
Brendan0808 Posted May 9, 2012 Posted May 9, 2012 OK, nice one, that looks pretty good for a lot of things, but do you know if you can access via SMTP? Would be great for our internal forums and joomla sites. I couldn't get smtp to work and read email only from the shared mailbox, it would always try and read my full mailbox.
Nodrog Posted May 18, 2012 Posted May 18, 2012 Why don't you just log into the LGfL support site and create a single USO user in your school with the User request single page. Make it a believable user - if you try Adam Dimension it will get rejected but John Smith has always worked for me - then enable a staffmail account for that user then put an aliases onto that account of whatever@yourdomain then use the mail relay they provide to send mail to the outside world smtp the mailbox down to your helpdesk server and your jobs done. Be careful with the user account you have set up I believe the LGfL records will show you created the user and you will have a hard time if the Police every want to know about that user account.
fiza Posted June 6, 2012 Author Posted June 6, 2012 I dont understand why they wont allow for a school to set up a generic email account for the helpdesk to use. Nearly all schools have a helpdesk system in place. Nearly all allow for users to email fault tickets in and for the helpdesk to reply to them. It cant be tied into a personal email address as it should only ever deal with helpdesk tickets.
Nodrog Posted June 6, 2012 Posted June 6, 2012 I asked that question and the answer I got was that since USO holds so much sensitive data on students and staff that they need tractability of users and this is why generics do not exist, a by product of the USO account is the email account – can’t have an email account without USO. Fair do’s to them on that one you would not be able to get a generic National Insurance number and I’d like my data kept safe thanks. The only risk I’m running by bending the rules like this is to take on responsibility of keeping my ‘generic’ account secret and secure – as long as I don’t hand the user details out then I’m fine for a conversation with the law on the topic and I’ve had that in the past.
fiza Posted September 21, 2012 Author Posted September 21, 2012 Here goes, you need to setup a shared mailbox on the back of your own lgflmail mailbox on Atomwides system. Call it ICTTech or whatever you would like. Once that is done, get the full mailbox address, it's usually in the format of [email protected], this is also on the Atomwide system. Then setup Spiceworks email settings as below; Outgoing email - Exchange Server - https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/[email protected] - Your shared mailbox full address Username & password - Your standard username & password Incoming settings - POP Server - mail.lgflmail.org Port - 995 - SSL ticked Username - [email protected]\mailbox???? password - your password I can confirm it does work this way! let me know how you get on, Brendan @Brendan0808 Finally got around to setting this up but it doesnt work for me. The outgoing works fine. Do i need to have pop3 access enabled by LGfL? Each time I put in the details I get "Error on incoming settings : User name must be correct and password must be correct". I know my username and password are typed in correctly. Any ideas?
Nodrog Posted September 24, 2012 Posted September 24, 2012 So the reason you can’t do POP3 is that it’s turned off by default. You need to go find the users in the support site and hit the 'details' button for them and go to the ‘email’ tab edit that page and turn on pop3 BE WARNED – ticking this will result in EVERYTHING being pop’ed down to you and if you ever ask the support guys at Atomwide to recover the mailbox they will politely say no. Why aren’t you inventing a user for the support system ?
PaulRenda Posted November 13, 2013 Posted November 13, 2013 Mine comes up with "Error on incoming settings: Server https://mail.lgflmail.org could not be reached on port 995. " Any idea if they have another port besides 995? Thank you.
Brendan0808 Posted November 13, 2013 Posted November 13, 2013 Guys, These details did work on LGfL for some time but have now been blocked. We now have to use a fake user account setup on Atomwide and then put the standard MS Exchange connections through Spiceworks. This seems to be the only way of getting this working now. Brendan 1
PaulRenda Posted November 13, 2013 Posted November 13, 2013 I've setup the fake user account, but the problem I have is that Spiceworks doesn't mask it as coming from icthelpdesk@, but instead the fake.user.206@, which is really annoying because on the test I ran, everyone comes up asking who is fake.user, does he work for us? I'm wondering if I setup a outlook.com user and re-direct... would it work? Have to give it a go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now