Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We are just getting together details of what we need to manage our soon to exist virtualised infrastructure.

 

This would be 3 x hardware boxes running Hyper V basically.

 

So, what licenses do I need for this?

 

Or, have I got this wrong - what tool is it to manage Hyper V installations centrally?

Edited by localzuk
Posted
depending on how many VMs you wish to run on each host (and how many sockets each host has) you'll need enterprise or datacenter licenses for the 3 boxes. You'll have to buy System Centre and then a SERVER CAL for each VM you're running. (not included with EES if you're using that).
Posted

Couldn't say how many VMs we'll be running, but 20 across the 3 wouldn't be a stretch. They'd all be dual processor boxes.

 

So you're saying I have to license every VM?? That's ridiculous to say the least - the entire point of virtualisation is flexibility, having to license individual virtual hosts for their mere management removes the flexibility.

Posted

For anyone else interested, I spoke to a reseller and they've explained that they've changed it a bit now.

 

Instead of needing individual licenses for different components of System Centre, it makes sense to buy 'System Center Data Center' licenses for each server you're using as a physical host. Each one of these licenses covers 2 processors, so if you have dual processor boxes, you need a single license for each.

 

The Data center license covers unlimited virtualised hosts on each machine also.

Posted

well each VM running Windows server would need it own server licence but they're not expensive. I have 4 datacentre licences at 82.94 each (1 for each of my 4 sockets across 2 hosts) this covers me for 12 VMs.

 

system centre mananger costs about £35 and server cals cost about £25 each. workstation cals are included in ESS desktop package.

Posted

Indeed, I haven't included that here as that's a separate issue in my mind. I've already specced up datacentre licenses for each server (1 per socket).

 

A datacenter license for system centre manager costs around £133 for unlimited VMs.

  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...