chrbb Posted March 20, 2012 Posted March 20, 2012 Been presented with yet another woderful educational software package to install, should be ok as it's compatible with W98:mad: I've written a script to install it silently, but the program needs a folder and it's contents copied to the client pc. My script makes a folder, installs the software, but copies the folder and not the contents. It's a batch file, simple xcopy with /s /e /d, works when I run it manually but not at startup. The paths must be right as the folder is copied but not the contents. Any ideas where I might be going wrong?
FN-GM Posted March 20, 2012 Posted March 20, 2012 (edited) Robocopy will be better. It will create all the required folders for you and copy all the contents of the source. I have found xcopy to be hit and miss at times. Does your server share have permissions do domain computers can see the contents? robocopy "\\soruceserver\share" "C:\destination-folder" /MIR What client OS are you running? Edited March 20, 2012 by FN-GM 1
chrbb Posted March 20, 2012 Author Posted March 20, 2012 Windows 7 and xp, I'll try robocopy, is it on server 2008 r2 or do I need to install it?
FN-GM Posted March 20, 2012 Posted March 20, 2012 The server wouldnt matter. Its built into Windows 7 but not XP. You can extract a copy of robocopy.exe from the Windows XP Support tools. You can just stick robocopy.exe in a shared drive. On your source share does the computer group "domain computers" have read rights?
FN-GM Posted March 20, 2012 Posted March 20, 2012 (edited) ok no worries. Give robocopy a shot. Edited March 20, 2012 by FN-GM Typo Corrected
glennda Posted March 20, 2012 Posted March 20, 2012 ok no worries. Give robocopy a shit. autocorrect fail?
chrbb Posted March 22, 2012 Author Posted March 22, 2012 Right - checked my switches and I'd changed /s for something else. Put /s back on works like a dream. Decided not to install at startup though, as the software has eight parts to it each needing a folder copying. So have written a script to do all the copying and installing, but am going to do it manually on each teacher laptop as I also have 2 other new programs to install, one of which needs the usb device plugged in whilst the software installs:mad: TBF though it does mean that I get to give staff laptops the once over! Nice little job whilst running the creche in the IT suite during parent's evening next week.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now