Carter Posted March 13, 2012 Author Posted March 13, 2012 Wouldn't XProtect be enough, or is the Mac anti-virus' main purpose to detect Windows viruses and trojans? Did this project name change? Your link did explain it as Apple related but now the Wiki link is a video product?
Arthur Posted March 13, 2012 Posted March 13, 2012 That's interesting. The Xprotect Wikipedia page used to look like this. Now there is no reference to it in relation to Mac's at all.
Carter Posted March 13, 2012 Author Posted March 13, 2012 Hmm, that's crazy! Also can't seem to find much online through Google.
Arthur Posted March 19, 2012 Posted March 19, 2012 For info more than anything else, but Avira released a beta version of their new Mac anti-virus app today called Avira Free Mac Security. 1
vikpaw Posted April 8, 2012 Posted April 8, 2012 In light of recent news, do you have any more progress on this project? BBC News - Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'
mac_shinobi Posted April 8, 2012 Posted April 8, 2012 Avira --> Avira Free Mac Security Not sure if this was one of the ones on your original list ?
User3204 Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 I use ClamXAV at home because it is free, but I've been looking for something that I can have a central console on for the school, as AVG don't seem to do an Apple version of AVG, which is what we use on the Windows machines. Are you testing for software with centralised control and maintenance ?
Haptic Posted April 12, 2012 Posted April 12, 2012 So how are you getting on with your testing @Carter? Chris
Arthur Posted April 14, 2012 Posted April 14, 2012 Hmm, that's crazy! Also can't seem to find much online through Google. As of last week, the XProtect Wikipedia page is back to how it was. XProtect currently detects the following malware... OSX.DevilRobber.A OSX.DevilRobber.B OSX.FileSteal.i OSX.FlashBack.A OSX.FlashBack.B OSX.FlashBack.C OSX.HellRTS OSX.HellRTS OSX.Iservice.A OSX.Iservice.B OSX.MacDefender.A OSX.MacDefender.B OSX.Mdropper.i OSX.OpinionSpy OSX.QHost.WB.A OSX.Revir.A OSX.Revir.ii OSX.RSPlug.A Also of interest may be the Mac malware bundle that Contagio released a few days ago if you need some Mac-specific trojans to test the AV with?
Carter Posted April 19, 2012 Author Posted April 19, 2012 Quick Update I haven't left this project, just been busy with other projects as well :-) As it stands right now I've narrowed it down to one product which for our needs and & requirements as well as usability of the application seems to fit best. This product is ESET but before we lock it down I will be setting up a Virtual Windows Server that we will install the Server Administrator Program as well as Console which will manage all of the Macs with the product installed. This wasn't a absolute requirement as we want all the computers to be able to run as standalone but the ability to track and repot the clients will be an added bonus. ESET has been great so far for contact & communication and once I sit through the server/client demo I will be able to give a full report. Thanks, Carter 3
nigelh Posted June 29, 2012 Posted June 29, 2012 Very late in the day, I know, but just thought I'd mention Comodo Antivirus for Mac: [i was gonna put a URL here, but as I only just subscribed here, it won't let me! But I guess you know Google.... ;-) ] Short story: there's matousec.com, who do what looks like very thorough testing of Windows antivirus products. Their test results show that Comodo's anti-virus scores 100% on 32-bit windows and 94% on 64-bit (yes, apparently this does make a difference!) But then I noticed that Comodo also have a (free) antivirus offering for Macs. So, I went in search of a comparative Mac antivirus review that included mention of the Comodo product, because I ain't about to assume that their Mac offering is actually any good just because their Windows stuff is! Up to now, I've been using iAntiVirus on my Macs - and only just this evening did I learn that it's actually a product of Symantec (who, I assume, have bought PC Tools)! So now, a free product from Symantec? Good heavens, what next? ;-) Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts - and also to find out what sort of results came out of your testing (if it's all done yet?)
vikpaw Posted June 30, 2012 Posted June 30, 2012 I needed to get some software for a suspect macbook, and opted for Sophos Free, as it's a name i know, and it's free. Installs easy, very discreet. Updates simply enough. Full scan took a couple of hours which wasnt that bad, and eventually found a trojan which it cleaned. Can't complain really. Just a single user version, no management or anything but great for personal security.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now