Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

It is something that I am thinking of devolping myself but was wondering if anyone else would be intrested in it should I devolp it and make it available, This would be a simple tool or vbscript that would create the package.ini file for a CC3 package which could then be imported into a CC4 Server as well as CC3.

 

My initial idea is for it to ask you a series of questions as to what the package will be and the give you some choice to answer further questions e.g. Is there any Dependencies and will give you a Yes / No answer box and if yes it will ask you to give any dependencies e.g. "RM Logon Provider" so the overall outcome will give you a complete package.ini instead of having to make it or running RM Application Wizzard to create one. At the moment it is only in the devolpment stages but it would appear pretty useful and it would be compataible with CC4 as it allows you to import CC3 Packages nad then you can modify it should it be nessecary.

 

At the moment I cna see this being in the form of a VBScript but may become an actual application later. Anyone else think this would be useful and if so would anyone else be able to hyelp with a small bit of the devolpment as I can do the majoroty of it besides a few minor things. I am working on the very basic version of it now and mya post it later should anyone want it.

 

Thanks

Posted

In CC3 and possibly CC4, administrators use a re-branded WinInstall LE to create RM compatible packages.

 

I suppose the ultimate question is how would your idea work any better than existing solutions?

Posted
In CC3 and possibly CC4, administrators use a re-branded WinInstall LE to create RM compatible packages.

 

I suppose the ultimate question is how would your idea work any better than existing solutions?

 

Yes it does, I curreently mange a CC3 network but am going vanilla in the summer and ye sit uses Winstall LE 2003 and RM App Wiz but it takes an awful lot of time to just create a very basic package and so what I was going to do was create a simple script that will allow you to create a package withut having to install it first and just have a basic exe or msi and run it and install it without the need for rebuilidng the packagebuilder computer therefroe svaing you time if a blueprint is nto avialble and so you do not have to create the file manually. If you understand.

 

Thanks

Posted

I understand what you're getting at. I think the reason(s) it may take time is because RM have a habbit of heavily modifying the registry, which I have never understood.

 

There's zero benefit and it's one of the reasons why custom packages are needed.

Posted

To be honest I am not entirely sure that this is necessary.

I rarely used AppWiz on CC3 and find it superfluous on CC4.

With CC3 it was generally easier just to create your own package structure with an .ini and just refresh the packages in RMMC.

With CC4 you can import an installer into RMMC and set your options from there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...