Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Dear All,

 

Your help would be gratefully accepted.

 

I occationally have the issue photographed below and am not sure whether it is a VGA over CAT5 issue or the old Plasma screens issue. The TV is pretty old, about 4-5 years, CAT5 run of about 15metres and the CAT5 adapters are fairly decent powered Kramer boxes.

 

Thanks,

 

TVissue.JPG

Posted
have you tried sticking any old monitor on the end of the line to prove if it's the tv? have you tried replacing whatever PC is driving the line? have you tried removing the driving end adapter, grabbing a laptop and a 1m cat5 cable and plugging laptop, driver and cat 5 in locally to isolate the cat5 run. In my experience kramer boxes don't die in interesting ways, they either work or don't!
Posted

Have tested the cable and it is fine, don't think thats the issue.

 

The CAT5 does pass a couple of mains cable but not for any substantial period, nor does it run parallel to any.

 

I could try a different monitor on it next i guess, but I really wanted to establish whether it was a known plasma issue on not.

 

Do people generally think it looks like a CAT% problem then?

Posted

One, ease of cable routing. Two, the splitter I have has 2 VGA outputs and a Cat5 output and I'm already using the 2 vgas.

 

didn't really want to hear that it's a converter problem :( any thoughts on why its very intemitent? I guess a new converter is the solution...

Posted

I don't have a VGA cable long enough, and I need to be descrete with cabling as it is in a part school/part public sport centre which is open 6am-10pm.

 

Thanks for your point about the vga/cat5 box - this is the kind of opinion I wanted

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...