CommodoreS Posted February 5, 2012 Posted February 5, 2012 Searching the threads I found an excellent post at: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/network-classroom-management/5987-network-management-software-go-4.html#post73364 Where the user has detailed what other 3rd party software people are using to assist with system management. The problem is this post is from 2007. Winsuite is discontinued. Learning Network Manager (also mentioned in that thread) also seems to be discontinued. Fortresgrand central contol and cleanslate still exists, but I wonder if it is really needed on a system that is networked and has been securely locked down. I have recently found this software as a replacement for RM Explorer 2: XIA Links - Desktop Application Launcher although expensive, I have not found an equivalent. The main thing I am now looking for is a piece of software which will automate the import of use accounts from CSV files, having only done it manually or using RM Network systems in the past. What are other people using? I have also found this: XIA Automation - Active Directory User Account Management which seems to do help create users, but requires scripting knowledge to create the scripts and seems expensive for something which is only done once a year. I have also read a lot about Impero on here recently: Impero Classroom and Computer Lab Management Software for the Entire Network and hope to try it on the test network over half term, but that also does not seem to have the feature to import users from a CSV file or help simplify the user creation process. I have also recently been looking into CentraStage: Centrastage - Remote Management & Software Deployment For Every Device and can see it has uses, although worrying to read a post relating to the lack of WOL on here from 2009 and it still has not been added. I'd also be interested to hear what other 3rd party software people are using to help set up, manage and maintain their networks. 1
FN-GM Posted February 5, 2012 Posted February 5, 2012 You can use this to import accounts. Its all done in excel and works really well. No need for scripting at all. This is what i use. The big plus its free! Account Management Spreadsheet 1
CommodoreS Posted February 6, 2012 Author Posted February 6, 2012 Free is very good, and the other free software on that site also looks fantastic. Some of the scripts there look pretty useful too! Thanks for posting it.
FN-GM Posted February 6, 2012 Posted February 6, 2012 No problem. I dont use and paid for addons to manage a network. Was there anything else in articular you was after?
CommodoreS Posted February 6, 2012 Author Posted February 6, 2012 If you know anything free like XIALinks mentioned above that would be useful. Apart from that any recommendations of software or scripts that are being used in a working environment would be helpful. If you have any working AD configuration for Win 7 Clients and users that you could export, that would also be helpful. Probably separate but I am still fighting against getting Offline Files working how I want it to for Staff Laptops, and need to do more research on mixed Win XP and Win 7 system integration - especially getting user profiles to work seamlessly across both systems and figuring out sysprep and WDS for Win 7 Clients.
FN-GM Posted February 6, 2012 Posted February 6, 2012 You might find these scripts handy - Rename a computer remotely - Blogs - EduGeek.net & http://www.edugeek.net/forums/scripts/32287-inventory-your-network.html
russdev Posted February 6, 2012 Posted February 6, 2012 ..I have also read a lot about Impero on here recently: Impero Classroom and Computer Lab Management Software for the Entire Network and hope to try it on the test network over half term, but that also does not seem to have the feature to import users from a CSV file..... We offer a free tool to anyone to import into AD from CSV - Impero - Network and Lab Management Software Russell 1
internetuser Posted April 19, 2012 Posted April 19, 2012 Hi I have tried this took, but I get below error, it creats the user area, but does not set any permissions on it ? User 1aa Created, Home folder Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Method failed with unexpected error code 1337. at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext) at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext) at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, AccessControlSections includeSections) at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity.Persist(String fullPath) at System.IO.Directory.SetAccessControl(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity) at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.SetAccessControl(DirectorySecurity directorySecurity) at ImperoADClient.clsADManager.CreateFolderAndACL(String strFolderPath, String strusername, String strdomain)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now