lazkopat Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 Hi guys, Right, I will need to be accessing my comp remotely. Now what would I have to take into account in order to this? I've got a NIC card which is WOL/POE compatible . I will be powering "ON" my PC remotely. Is this possible? Help much appreciated
Steve21 Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 Hi guys, Right, I will need to be accessing my comp remotely. Now what would I have to take into account in order to this? I've got a NIC card which is WOL/POE compatible . I will be powering "ON" my PC remotely. Is this possible? Help much appreciated As long as your BIOS supports it (Usually needs enabling), You get a piece of software (or write code) that sends the "magic packet" that tells the computer to turn on. For "general" use it needs to be on the same network. If you want it over the internet you'll need something more specialised as magic packets are network based normally. Steve
lazkopat Posted January 25, 2012 Author Posted January 25, 2012 What will I need? because I will be sending the magic frame over the Internet Steve? Some app?
tumbleweed Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 Have a look at Depicus Wake On Lan Command Line You'll also probably need to play with port forwarding on your router, details will depend on exact setup. Hopefully this gives you something to start with.
plexer Posted January 25, 2012 Posted January 25, 2012 Wake-On-LAN Online (WOL) - Wake up your computer over Internet, no software needed! Ben
lazkopat Posted January 26, 2012 Author Posted January 26, 2012 (edited) wahooo! I powered my PC on remotely, now my question is how secure is "Logmein" guys? And Would I be able to do a port forwarding on a different Port No and make this Wake -On-Lan WOL work? I think port 9 will cause a security issue on my network. Someone could penetrate the system throught port 9? Edited January 26, 2012 by lazkopat
mac_shinobi Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Remotely - easiest I've found is to register for the free account on logmein and you can use this to remotely wake your pc. I normally do this for my work pc If I need to check pay slips etc
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now