GreyFox Posted January 20, 2012 Posted January 20, 2012 (edited) Hi all, Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to put this in. But this issue is occuring on Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) We've had one of out teachers point out that when adding a flash video to a webpage in Dreamweaver (CS3), it doesn't show/open when you preview/open the page. I think I've narrowed it down to being an issue with networked home directories - Not narrowed very much I know! When I created a test page on my machine's hard drive, it worked fine. However, from my home directory, the page works, but the video part doesn't. This is the same for students and staff members alike. I have tried on my machine with both IE9 and Firefox 9. Using Firefox, I can get it to work by changing: file://///SERVERNAME/HOMEDIRECTORY$/Dreamweaver/Project1/video.html to: file:///N:/Dreamweaver/Project01/video.html (N being the drive letter assigned to home directories) I am unable to get it working on IE as: \\SERVERNAME\HOMEDIRECTORY$\Dreamweaver\Project 1\video.html But it works for me and staff as: N:\Dreamweaver\Project 1\video.html But for students: 'Address Bar X Accessing the resource 'N:\Dreamweaver\Project1\video.html' has been disallowed.' We have got some file screen policies in place. But they are only blocking desktop.ini, Executable files and shortcuts - for all users, and just Executables for staff. I've even tried adding exceptions to allow Audio and Video Files, Executable Files, Web Pages etc - no luck. Could anyone shed some light on this please? Would prefer to have them working by just clicking the file, but working by changing the start to N: would be a huge help. Thank you GreyFox Edited January 20, 2012 by GreyFox
Steve21 Posted January 20, 2012 Posted January 20, 2012 Have you removed the run option from start menu by GPO for students only? The user will be blocked from entering the following into the Internet Explorer Address Bar: --- A UNC path: \\\ --- Accessing local drives: e.g., C: --- Accessing local folders: e.g., \temp> Steve
GreyFox Posted January 20, 2012 Author Posted January 20, 2012 Ah right. Yes, run has been removed. Is there a way of still getting this to work? I can't say for definate, but I think it was working for us on XP, with 'Run' being disabled again. But might have just been standard flash Another slight update. I've had the member of staff say it's not working for him either, but does for my test staff member. Will have to go and see him. Thanks GreyFox
Steve21 Posted January 20, 2012 Posted January 20, 2012 Might be worth double checking if you got a test account, If you can do it with run enabled, but on a normal student account. As you can still have run "active" but without launching hidden programs etc (I think?). I'll double check on one of our test student accounts later if I get time. Steve
GreyFox Posted January 20, 2012 Author Posted January 20, 2012 Thanks Steve. I'm assuming we're discussing run for local drive access rather than unc path? - as that way works for me, but unc seems broken - at least for flash videos. I shall have to get a test GPO set up and see where I get to next then. Thanks GreyFox
round2it Posted January 20, 2012 Posted January 20, 2012 its funny that this has come up as i have the same issue with dreamweaver not finding the paths correctly so you are saying we need to allow unc paths on our machines so this works.
GreyFox Posted January 25, 2012 Author Posted January 25, 2012 (edited) Hi Steve, Disabling 'Remove Run menu from Start Menu' allows the 'local' (but not local) drive method to work. So student home directories on N:\, but still the video does not show when the UNC path is in the address bar. So that's a step forward, so thank you. But still not perfect. This is at least a help. Any other ideas please? Thank you GreyFox [EDIT:] Just discovered that it works fine if users get to their documents through Computer - (N: ). That is quite interesting. We've had issues will Illustrator not wanting to open files from Documents (can't find file), but are fine though home directories, N route. Edited January 25, 2012 by GreyFox update
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now