elsiegee40 Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 We have one user of standalone Office 2010 here (we don't have exchange). The pst is in a folder on her home drive around 500Mb in size. When it was originally setup for her, we got it working with no problems. She used it successfully for a few days and then we started getting messages that the .pst was corrupted. Last night we recovered the .pst, got it all working... and shut down. This morning, I told her 'it's fine' and she logged on, clicked on Outlook and it has blown out again... same message, .pst is corrupt. Any ideas please?
Dos_Box Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 Have you checked the disk for errors? And are you using the PST Scan Tool to fix the PST file?
Dos_Box Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 Ooops. Forgot to include the link to scanpst.exe in Outlook 2010: Fix Outlook 2010 Problem: PST File Repair Tool
rush_tech Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 I had this a while ago and it was a corrupt sector on the disk in the middle of the .pst file fixed by running scandisk working fine after that
elsiegee40 Posted November 29, 2011 Author Posted November 29, 2011 The disk (the server) is fine. And yes I am using ScanPST to fix it. I've googled a bit and the only suggested solution I've foiund so far is to put the .pst on the local hard drive which isn't a great idea as it won't be backed up.
Arthur Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 Corrupted PSTs were the bane of my life before we got an Exchange Server. Every week, without fail, there would be some staff who had corrupted their PSTs. I am so glad I no longer have to deal with this any more since recovering the lost e-mails or restoring the PSTs from backup took a disproportionate amount of time. There's a good reason Microsoft don't support PSTs stored on the network... Network Stored PST files ... don't do it! « Ask the Performance Team
Dos_Box Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 Ah, I didn't twig that you were hosting the PST remotely. Bit of a no-no that one I'm afraid.
elsiegee40 Posted November 29, 2011 Author Posted November 29, 2011 PITA or what?! Outlook 2003 has been chugging along fine on the network for years. Why'd they have to break it?
john Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 Its never been supported I'm afraid running LAN based PSTs, I've had it with most versions of Outlook However you could do what I have done in the past, store it locally and then do a logoff script for that PC that just copys the folder called PSTs from the C Drive (assuming you store it there) back to a share on the LAN works well for me
Arthur Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 If you install Microsoft's Personal Folders Backup add-in, Outlook will automatically copy their PST to a folder on your network as soon as they click the close button.
john Posted November 29, 2011 Posted November 29, 2011 If you install Microsoft's Personal Folders Backup add-in, Outlook will automatically copy their PST to a folder on your network as soon as they click the close button. That indeed is also a good thing assuming it pops up, Outlook can take a while to close nicely and thus free up the PST and thus not always spawn that in 2010 (I know as I use that here to copy my monster PST to my NAS weekly)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now