Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi folks,

 

I just wanted to check I'm following the correct approach for something quite basic in GP. Forgive my naivety...

 

I'm deploying Flash 11 to a group of PCs using an MSI package. The obvious approach seems to be to create a group in AD for the PCs I want to apply this to, then create the GPO which it applies to. I have tried this using a group based on users and it doesn't seem to work, presumably because it needs to install when the PC starts up as opposed to when a user logs in.

 

Is it correct to apply GPO to an AD group of PCs, or is there a better/preferred way?

 

TIA

Posted

I would create a OU group, put the pc's you want to deploy flash to the OU group, then create a Gpo, under the computer configuration\software installation add a new package which links to the MSI you have created for the flash install.

 

Now link the gpo to the OU Group and it should install the flash player. You may need to run gpupdate /force and reboot the client pc to speed up the install.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

If you don't want to go down the route of using an OU for the install you could do Groups as you initially planned though you'd need to do it as a group of computers as opposed to users. You can then use the security filtering and drop it at a higher OU and it'll only install to those who have the group membership specified in the Security Filtering.

 

That's how I tend to install software that involves a few machines from each OU.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...