pooley Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 I have just imported 200+ students and need to set them up with homedirectories. I have a csv file with usernames etc and need a script to create the home folders and set permissions on them, if its possible. I have seen a fe pieces of software I could buy but thought I'd ask here 1st for a free option. Cheers Si
maniac Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 It depends how your home folders are setup. For my user home folders I have one main share (\\server\student data$) and each users home folder is a sub directory of this. (i.e \\server\student data$\year\studentname) Folder security prevents users from browsing the root of the share and accessing other students work. When you have it set up like this, active directory can be used to create all the home folders by doing the following; 1. Highlight them all in Active Directory 2. RH click, and open properties 3. Click the profile tab 4. Tick the home folder box, select the 'connect' option and choose the drive letter you want to use 5. Type the following in the box. '\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\%username%' This will create a folder for each user named as their username within the share \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\ and set the security on the folder and properties for each user acordingly. I'm not sure if older versions of active directory allow you to modify multiple objects, i'm running Server 2003 SP1 which lets you do this. It works for me, 200 folders created in an instant! Hope that helps, Mike.
apeo Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 Looks like maniac's solution should work for you but if you still need a script to do it, let me know what your directory structure is and ill fiddle with my script to match what you need (when i get a spare moment). My script is taylored for our network and is used to for the whole process (i.e. create user, home dir and share) so i will need to rip elements out to get it to work for you.
pooley Posted April 26, 2007 Author Posted April 26, 2007 Doh how dull do I feel - tried this the other day and it didnt work- wrong permissions set on share. Thanks guys
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now