Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am not in any way Linux savvy, so please be kind.

 

I have been trying to install Nagios on a machine running Fedora 6. Everything has installed fine. However, when it comes to the

make install-webconf

part it says "No rule to make target 'install-webconf'.

 

I have Apache installed, but can't find the conf.d directory that is talked about - which makes me wonder whether it has been installed correctly.

 

Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

 

Thanks.

Posted

install-webconf was broken for me. I manually copied the useful bits of sample-config/nagios to a virtual host configuration in /etc/apache2/sites-avaliable/007-nagios.

 

YMMV depending on your aptitude with apache configuration. However here is my Virtual host configuration for reference (Disclaimer, this is an Ubuntu Server so paths will vary).

 

   ServerAdmin [email][email protected][/email]
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/nagios.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk/htdocs"
   ServerName nagios.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk
   ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/nagios.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk-error_log
   CustomLog /var/log/apache2/nagios.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk-access_log common

# BEGIN FOR NAGIOS

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/nagios/sbin



       Options ExecCGI

       AllowOverride AuthConfig
       Order Allow,Deny
       Allow From All

       AuthName "Nagios Access"
       AuthType Basic
       AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.users
       require valid-user

# Where the HTML pages live

Alias /nagios /usr/local/nagios/share


       Options FollowSymLinks

       AllowOverride AuthConfig
       Order Allow,Deny
       Allow From All

       AuthName "Nagios Access"
       AuthType Basic
       AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.users
       require valid-user

# END FOR NAGIOS

 

Astute readers will notice that this means that the document root is not where nagios lives. I solved this with a cheesy index.php redirect.

 

header( 'Location: http://nagios.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk/nagios/' ) ;
?>

Posted

Right, I'm lost - and have a horrible feeling that something may have gone horribly wrong with the installation (although the checks it did suggested that it hadn't).

 

I can't find sample-config/nagios, but I can find a nagios.cfg file that, when opened, claims to be the "Sample main config file for Nagios" - am I right to assume this is the same thing.

 

I also can't find a "sites-available" folder, which could either be a problem or could just show you how out-of-my-depth I am with this thing.

 

On the plus side, I have also now found the conf.d folder - but make install-webconf was still not happy.

Posted
I can't find sample-config/nagios

 

It's the sample configuration for apache. It should be in wherever you extracted everything initally before compilation. If you can't find it, it doesn't matter. Just use the sections you need from my configuration.

 

but I can find a nagios.cfg file that, when opened, claims to be the "Sample main config file for Nagios" - am I right to assume this is the same thing.

 

No, thats the configuration file for nagios.

 

I also can't find a "sites-available" folder, which could either be a problem or could just show you how out-of-my-depth I am with this thing.

 

It's a debian thing. If your not running debian or a debian based derivative your apache configuration wont work that way.

Posted
Might be an idea you switch to Debian or Ubuntu. It's what most of us use and we will be able to give you more accurate instructions.
Posted

That's OK - I've got it working. I copied Geoff's code (thanks). Made the necessary tweaks, and placed it in the conf.d folder as "nagios.conf" - and it worked!

 

Now I've just got to configure the whole thing. Right now, I need a biscuit.

Posted

@spdge: If you have the time to learn the template-based way of doing things, I would recommend this as it can make things a lot neater. If you don't know what I'm talking about... just ignore me ;)

 

I may compile some instructions for the wiki.

Posted
I may compile some instructions for the wiki.

 

You're right, I don't really know what you are talking about. I am just a windows user who wants to see what the hype is all about when it comes to Linux.

 

I'm sure after a few more days of fiddling I will be a little bit more confident - but at the moment, it's like looking at Modern Art (it's there, people like it, but I just don't get it).

 

So, as you have probably guessed, any help in this field would be great.

  • 4 years later...
Posted
Its easy , just run the command under your nagios installation root, i.e where the extraction of the *.tar.gz took place

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...