bodminman Posted October 17, 2011 Posted October 17, 2011 Hi there, last week my drive belt got shredded so I had to replace it. However, since replacement I've lost some power. I know the buggers haven't got alot anyway but now it means I go even slower! When revving, there doen't appear to be any difference after the throttle goes over approx 1/2 way. I have checked the valves and they're spaced correctly but after that I haven't a clue what else to look for. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sirbendy Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 Not familiar with scooters, but no power over 50% throttle, not valves...if you have decent compression (if it runs, you probably do), then I'd be looking at the carburettor, throttle linkage and cable, or possibly a restricted exhaust..Maybe an overtight belt? Not sure if that'd cause power loss through friction. One of these days I might resurrect Jems old scooter..was given to her by her grandad, not been used since '83..it's a Puch Maxi. 1
bodminman Posted October 18, 2011 Author Posted October 18, 2011 Hi there, I started the bike with the side case off and slow revved it to full throttle and it went all the way. So I checked all the cables/pipes and there are no kinks in anything. But when riding the bike there still seems to be no poke in it after approx 50% throttle. I have to go up a small hill to get out of my village and when trying it this morning I am most definitely going slower when I reach the top than I used too!
Brucy Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 could your clutch be slipping? Might be worth giving it a clean (pads and housing), if the belt shreaded it could have covered it in dust 1
bodminman Posted October 18, 2011 Author Posted October 18, 2011 Good point. How would I get the flywheel nut off without any special tools?
HaleStorm Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 check your air filter, a blocked and crapped up air filter can really restict power throughput on a scooter 1
bodminman Posted October 18, 2011 Author Posted October 18, 2011 Air filter foam thingy was replaced with a new one about a week ago.
Brucy Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 Good point. How would I get the flywheel nut off without any special tools? If isn't anything like my friends Yam the clutch is actually on the back wheel end of the belt so you might be able to use the brake to stop the wheel turning
HaleStorm Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 its not that then, only thing i can suggest is the same as the others, check the clutch incase the dust from the dead drive belt got in and is clagging it up
bodminman Posted October 18, 2011 Author Posted October 18, 2011 If isn't anything like my friends Yam the clutch is actually on the back wheel end of the belt so you might be able to use the brake to stop the wheel turning Yep it is on the back wheel. I have tried jamming the brake on but still can't get the nut undone.
BenABF Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 Could be the rollers in the centrafugal clutch are knackered?
SYNACK Posted October 18, 2011 Posted October 18, 2011 Air filter foam thingy was replaced with a new one about a week ago. How ragged was the old one, if it was really trashed and full of holes it may have been letting more air through than the new one and causing power loss. More likely something mechanical but this could be a part of it.
bodminman Posted October 18, 2011 Author Posted October 18, 2011 How ragged was the old one, if it was really trashed and full of holes it may have been letting more air through than the new one and causing power loss. More likely something mechanical but this could be a part of it. I honestly didn't think the filter needed replacing but just thought I'd do it. Initially when the filter was replaced there was no change in performance. Performance has gone since the drive belt was replaced.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now