speckytecky Posted April 20, 2007 Posted April 20, 2007 (edited) Apologies in advance folks if the following question seems dreadfully naive to many of you. We have a Win2K server and Win XP Pro SP2 workstations the latter have been suffering slow log on over recent months, I suspect this is since the logon.bat file was altered to read: #echo off net use lpt2: \\wcs-server01\BrotherH /yes /************\*********** net use lpt3: \\its21\BrotherH /yes net use m: \\wcs-server01\test /yes net use S: \\wcs-server01\Shared /yes I do want to define a default printer and alternative printer. The default is connected to the server so would be \\wcs-server01\Brother hl-5130 series the alternate is a network attached printer and comes up as \\wcs-server01\HP Officejet Pro K550 Series I can see that clearly the net use lpt3: \\its21\brotherH is erroneous now as that workstation no longer has any printer connected. I’m not sure why net use lpt2 & 3 appear, why is it 2 and 3 – the workstation I’m sending this message from has the brother coming up as lpt1 and the HP as a TCP/IP port which I have reserved at the server as **.***.**.***? I’m also unsure what I’d need to write to get the correct printers listed in the file. Edited September 3, 2008 by speckytecky
Geoff Posted April 20, 2007 Posted April 20, 2007 I recommend Rics VBS printer script for setting up printers. http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404
tarquel Posted April 20, 2007 Posted April 20, 2007 I know this isn't much help but have you tried using a kixtart script instead to map your printers on logon? The managability makes it so easy to use... If you would like, I could send you mine as an example, and then all you would need to do is call the kixtart script into the logon.bat like this: \\yourlogonserver\NETLOGON\kix32.exe \\yourlogonserver\NETLOGON\theprinterscript.kix While the scripting language can do all sorts, I only use it for printer driver installation and port assigning during logon. http://www.kixtart.org Commands like http://www.kixtart.org/index.asp?p=commandRef#_Toc146265719 are what you would need, but if it looks all to confusing, I can post up or PM you my script as an example. Regards Nath.
speckytecky Posted April 20, 2007 Author Posted April 20, 2007 Crumbs, that all seems complicated and way beyond my current ability! Rick Charlton kindly built a vbs script which I currently use on individual workstations to change printers. Would I be right in thinking that if I have that vbs file in the Netlogon folder on the server and list it in the logon.bat file that it would run ok from there, if so what would I need to write in the logon.bat file to achieve this? As to my existing logon.bat file would I be OK to just take the incorrect line out?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now