localzuk Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 I have been told by various people that multimedia type work should not be attempted via thin clients/terminal services. Now, I am confused as a rep today informed me that you can, so long as you have a suitably beefy server (he said that the spec I recently proposed would support about 15 multimedia users). I feel I must explain what I mean by multimedia. The apps that would be classified as multimedia are: Audacity And that's it. The kids don't do much fancy filtering either. It is mainly recording their own voices and moving them around a bit. So, would a terminal server be able to handle this? The reason I ask is that the difference in price for us implementing a thin client room compared to a fat client room is about £15k...
cooper Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 I run Audacity from a application server with no problems. I dont have a thin client set up
Geoff Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 The only things I've seen Citrix struggle with is Video editing with Adobe Premier and 3d rendering with Google Earth. Don't worry about Audacity, it'll work just fine.
localzuk Posted April 18, 2007 Author Posted April 18, 2007 That's just what I wanted to hear. I think I'll go about getting a server and testing out with our existing old clients and use them as thin clients for a while before I swap over... Cheers, this will make my Bursar a very happy person!
NetworkGeezer Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 The only things I've seen Citrix struggle with is Video editing with Adobe Premier and 3d rendering with Google Earth. Don't worry about Audacity, it'll work just fine. Wow! What servers do you run? Are these quad core jobs you mentioned in the other thread about virtualisation?
Ric_ Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 @NetworkGeezer: Audacity is a tiny app and for what localzuk describes there is little processing involved. I would never edit movies mind Incidentally, Citrix does do magical acceleration stuff for multimedia which helps a great deal. It also helps if you can limit the number of connections to about 15 concurrent users - this will drive upcosts though.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now