Brassman Posted September 13, 2011 Posted September 13, 2011 (edited) Hi I'm Bruce and I've work in the Educational AV Industry since 1997. A business colleague of mine has put out an "all points" call for anyone who has dabbled with RM Storebox? He's having some problems. are there any ex RM engineers reading this? If you can contact me I'll put you in touch with him. pm for phone number many thanks Edited October 26, 2011 by witch
synaesthesia Posted September 13, 2011 Posted September 13, 2011 I've dabbled a bit too much with them - will gladly help out on here but not via phone ATM, if you can relay anything in private message here or posting here I'm sure we can help. Probably not a great idea posting mobile numbers in public! 1
H1ugy Posted September 14, 2011 Posted September 14, 2011 Hi buddy i have been trying to get some urgent help with an RM Storebox at a primary school and a good pal of mine Bruce Brassington told me you posted a reply to him saying you might be able to help. is this the case, if so how do i get in direct touch with you so my my engineer can talk it over with you thanks, Jason
synaesthesia Posted September 16, 2011 Posted September 16, 2011 H1ugy, I've sent you a PM with my email address- will be happy to help over email.
H1ugy Posted September 16, 2011 Posted September 16, 2011 H1ugy, I've sent you a PM with my email address- will be happy to help over email. Hi buddy. Many thanks my engineer will be contacting you direct today Many thanks again Jason
roundakela Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 We have an old RM network in our school, now reduced to the ssmaster (running Classmate5) and the Storebox. However we can no longer access the Storebox and we need to download files that were stored on there. When you log onto the ssmaster it can not see any of the network drives. If you try and log onto the storebox direct it says the domain can not be found. I have a login name for the storebox but the password has expired. If you try and update it, it once again comes back saying the domain is unavailable. Anyone got any clues or know of any RM Passwords for these old Storeboxes? RM say their support for the storebox ran out in 2007 and are just not prepared to help! Cheers Steven
sparkeh Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 I still have a storebox knocking around, I do have this kind of nonsense (and lots of other irritating issues) and it all seems to be related to running out of memory. For me a reboot sorts it out for a while. Got to get rid of this damn thing soon. Alternatively, stick the hard drive in a caddy or another machine and retrieve the files.
jamesfed Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 We have an old RM network in our school, now reduced to the ssmaster (running Classmate5) and the Storebox. However we can no longer access the Storebox and we need to download files that were stored on there. When you log onto the ssmaster it can not see any of the network drives. If you try and log onto the storebox direct it says the domain can not be found. I have a login name for the storebox but the password has expired. If you try and update it, it once again comes back saying the domain is unavailable. Anyone got any clues or know of any RM Passwords for these old Storeboxes? RM say their support for the storebox ran out in 2007 and are just not prepared to help! Cheers Steven Take the hard drive out of the storebox and put it in a storage enclosure/SATA/IDE kit and then read the data right off of the drive. When we started doing IT for one of the local primarys they had a storebox with a simlar problem and just did the above.
roundakela Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 Sparkesh, I don't think it is a memory issue as it was happily coping with 16 machines accessing before we dismantled the network and it has been rebooted several times since! Jamesfed - this had been my initial reaction but another techy told me that as teh storebox was a 'server' that you couldn't just read the hard drive using a caddy. However I'm game to try anything once. Someone else told me it was because it was not DHCP'ing anymore but that doesn't explain why I cant log directly into the storebox itself. Any suggestions always greatfully recieved and will be tried. I've got a couple of caddy's at home so will git that a try. Watch this space! Cheers Steven
jamesfed Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 Jamesfed - this had been my initial reaction but another techy told me that as teh storebox was a 'server' that you couldn't just read the hard drive using a caddy. However I'm game to try anything once. Unless the drives inside in some form of a RAID array (say RAID 0 or 5) then the server drive is just the same as any normal PCs. When we did the work on our primarys storebox it was just a single IDE drive with 80GB of storage and about 80% fragmentation - first reaction was how on earth is this still running!!
synaesthesia Posted October 26, 2011 Posted October 26, 2011 I've sent you a message with the default password scheme used for storebox systems. And @ jamesfed : I still have a screen capture on here somewhere of one with 80% fragmentation - the solid block of red highly amused me! Wonder how the data was written for it to get so bad!
sparkeh Posted October 27, 2011 Posted October 27, 2011 Storeboxes never had anything so fancy as RAID
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now