SimpleSi Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 Following on from other thread... The Mac's were setup by the install company with bootcamp and we've install Win7 on one of them and got it up and running no problem. If we install the schools mswin software on it - what do I need to do to either Clone the whole machine to the other 14 Macs in the suite or Can I just copy the Win7 partition (the others have been partitioned already with same scheme) to the others and just alter some boot settings? regards Simon
pooley Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 You can use winclone (free), sysprep the bootcamp install, use winclone to clone the bootcamp partition to a file (stored on usb) Then use winclone to restore the image back to each computer individually. Not the fastest but definatly the easiest if you don't have OSX Server on your network 1
mac_shinobi Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 Home ^^^ Deploy Studio ^^^ Will that allow you to image them with both OS X and a win partition ? 1
SimpleSi Posted September 7, 2011 Author Posted September 7, 2011 sysprep the bootcamp install, Why would I have to sysprep the bootcamp install? regards Simon
pooley Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 Home ^^^ Deploy Studio ^^^ Will that allow you to image them with both OS X and a win partition ? It will but you need an OSX server to deploy from
pooley Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 Don't know really, some say you should others say not to bother, I do "just in case" The SID debate: To Sysprep or not to Sysprep | Windows - InfoWorld 1
mac_shinobi Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 Don't know really, some say you should others say not to bother, I do "just in case" The SID debate: To Sysprep or not to Sysprep | Windows - InfoWorld The Machine SID Duplication Myth (and Why Sysprep Matters) - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs The reason that I began considering NewSID for retirement is that, although people generally reported success with it on Windows Vista, I hadn’t fully tested it myself and I got occasional reports that some Windows component would fail after NewSID was used. When I set out to look into the reports I took a step back to understand how duplicate SIDs could cause problems, a belief that I had taken on faith like everyone else. The more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that machine SID duplication – having multiple computers with the same machine SID – doesn’t pose any problem, security or otherwise. I took my conclusion to the Windows security and deployment teams and no one could come up with a scenario where two systems with the same machine SID, whether in a Workgroup or a Domain, would cause an issue. At that point the decision to retire NewSID became obvious.
Arthur Posted September 7, 2011 Posted September 7, 2011 also from the article above... Note that Sysprep resets other machine-specific state that, if duplicated, can cause problems for certain applications like Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), so Microsoft’s support policy will still require cloned systems to be made unique with Sysprep
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now