Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm trying to move about 1000 users to a new server with lots of new storage space, windows 2008 R2 x64. The old users shares are on 2003 servers and I thought the file server migration tool would be perfect for the job.

 

I ran a migrate job and all of the users folders seems to port across, the NTFS permissions look fine and the folders are showing as shared. However, the permissions on the Advanced Sharing tab only show full access to Administrators. On the 2003 server Everyone had full access and the NTFS permissions set the 'real' permissions.

 

So none of the shares work as they have no access to it, even though the permissions on the Share (not Advanced Sharing) show the user as having 'Contribute' rights.

 

So either the FSM just doesn't work, or I've manually got to reshare every single one and add Everyone into the Share permissions list? That doesn't sound right to me?

Posted

Yes they are students folders and its only the Advanced Share permissions that seem missing. Does your batch file correct that? The Share and NTFS permissions look correct (i.e same as on the 2003 server)

 

I'm not sure what the difference between Sharing and Advanced Sharing is on 2008 server, except the fact it stops the sharing from actually working! I've tried the FSM and also used robocopy and the registry filer (lanmanserver) and I get the same results.

Posted
The batch fille will grant the user modify rights to the students own home area only (providing the folders are the same as the username). Everything else you set at top level.
Posted
It sounds like you're trying to share each user folder, is that right? If so - don't do that. Share the root folder only with whichever permissions you need (Authenticated Users for me) with Full Control. The rest is sorted from there.
Posted

I'm not explaining it very well!

 

Basically we have a share per user - thats what I'm trying to transfer over to the 2008 server, which is sort of working, apart from the share permissions!

Posted
Per user share for 1000 users on one machine = very bad thing. I'm not up on the technical reasons, but it presents a very heavy load on the server, and is not necessary. You can quickly fix this with a single share, and your system will run better and be easier to manage in the future!
Posted
Per user share for 1000 users on one machine = very bad thing. I'm not up on the technical reasons, but it presents a very heavy load on the server, and is not necessary. You can quickly fix this with a single share, and your system will run better and be easier to manage in the future!

 

We have all our kids on one server. TBH file servers dont use lots of RAM etc. I have beefed it up though. Its a virtual machine in a cluster and so is fully redundant

Posted

I've decided to ditch the FSM as its not working predictably. I'm going to robocopy everything over and re-structure the shares to use a root level share instead of the existing (historical) invidividual shares. Makes my life a lot easier!

 

Cheers for the info and ideas!

Posted
We have all our kids on one server. TBH file servers dont use lots of RAM etc. I have beefed it up though. Its a virtual machine in a cluster and so is fully redundant

 

Us too - 900 users, but a single share. The server never breaks a sweat, and it's old - but it's a physical machine.

 

To the OP - yeah we used robocopy to do this too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...