Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Microsoft used to recommend using .local as the TLD for an AD implementation. But this interferes with Apple's Rendezvous service.

 

I'm going to be building a new AD soon. What alternatives to .local do people recommend, please?

Posted
Whatever you want to use. We used .usd, so our domain is paradise.usd (Paradise Unified School District). Some people use .pvt, .internal, etc.
Posted

I used .int recently - short for internal.

 

I decided not to use .local because thats something mac uses for something else.

Posted
Makes you wonder though why should .anything matter really? Seems a design problem from Apple's point of view.

 

Serious major flaw considering that they aim part of this software at the Windows platform and then go and ruin running it on an existing domain.

Posted
I used .int recently - short for internal.

also... ;)

 

The domain name int is a sponsored top-level domain (sTLD) in the Domain Name System of the Internet. Its name is derived from the word international, characterizing its use for world-wide purposes. (Source)
Posted
also... ;)

 

Arthur, that shouldnt matter to anyone unless they are using mixed DNS (internal and external) then youd be having problems :D lol. When I first came to this district it was a mess and a mixed DNS.

 

Since then our domain is completely internal and we have seperate BIND DNS servers for external stuff.

Posted
What alternatives to .local do people recommend, please?

 

On my Windows 2003 server at home I use my own domain name (sansay.co.uk). You have to remember to add a local DNS entry for any servers (so for SanSay.Co.Uk I need an entry on my Server 2003's DNS), but that's fine as it's no bother and you'll probably want to give local IP addresses for local servers anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...