6Foot2 Posted July 10, 2011 Author Posted July 10, 2011 We have one of these at our school! I hadn't realised that they had gone so 'mainstream' [if that is the right word] as to be affordable to schools.
Steve21 Posted July 10, 2011 Posted July 10, 2011 I hadn't realised that they had gone so 'mainstream' [if that is the right word] as to be affordable to schools. Depends what you call affordable Last time I looked zcorp machines were averaging $35k, so say £20k~ Not much difference to a good quality laser cutter etc (well ish ) Did a fair bit with zcorp machines at uni, the main cost (well imo) is the price per sq. in. $3 an inch, may not sound much, but think even a 5*5*5 item you're talking nearly $400. Steve
6Foot2 Posted July 10, 2011 Author Posted July 10, 2011 ...but think even a 5*5*5 item you're talking nearly $400. Steve Too rich for our blood [to coin a phrase]
Steve21 Posted July 10, 2011 Posted July 10, 2011 Too rich for our blood [to coin a phrase] Aye Great for prototyping etc, not so great for production. A wrench (to quote the film) that suddenly is costing say $100 yeah... lol Steve
Netwacky87 Posted July 10, 2011 Posted July 10, 2011 I dont think it was cheap at the time, its quite an old bit of kit I think now...Its definetly not as saphisticated as the one in the video....It uses white powder though, very good it of kit, we also have a laser cutter, that is impressive!
SYNACK Posted July 10, 2011 Posted July 10, 2011 Anyone impressed by this would probably like this show (Prototype This): An overview of the show:
JJonas Posted July 11, 2011 Posted July 11, 2011 and now there is one that prints in chocolate BBC News - Printer produces personalised 3D chocolate
Hightower Posted July 11, 2011 Posted July 11, 2011 We have one at our school too, being a technology college (at the time when we got it). It cost about £26k I believe, and is now being run as a radiator as DT can't afford to run it. I think a fan went once and the supplier tried to charge £120 to replace it - the DT tech bought a normal case fan for a computer for a few bob and that did the trick.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now