marvin Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 Hi We have a shared calendar in school and recently the school has purchased couple of IPADs and the SLT team would like it to sync to google calendar and vice versa! I really can't see a way of doing this, has anyone experienced this before? Basically we don't want to use google calendar sync! Thanks
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 Are you running exchange to do this in school as I thought that all that data was pulled from exchange (certainly 2007) if you were doing to give you access to it. It might take a bit of configuring, but if you set up an account on exchange for each of the iPads then you could set this up on iPads themselves and have it pull the information that way. I'll grab an iPad and double check .. The only other way I can think of (given you don't want to use the Google work-about) would be to have a dock (or just use the lead, but docks don't involve plugging in so staff are more likely to make use of it) to sync up to the local computer account and then it at least has a close to up to date version of the calendar on, even if it's not realtime ..
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 Just checked and it does indeed sync them up .. gives you the option of what to sync .. so that might be the way forward if you're using exchange ..
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 You know what .. completely misread your question about Google not outlook .. it's Friday .. does that count? lol .. (is there an "I'm a muppet" emoticon?) Edit: Oh no, hang on, you were asking about Outlook, it's just you mention Google as well .. ok .. now I'm well confused .. anyway .. if what I said helps great .. if not, I'll be sat in the corner thinking I'm going slightly insane .. lol ..
marvin Posted June 10, 2011 Author Posted June 10, 2011 Yes, we have exchange 2003 onsite which handles the emails and stuff. Basically what i want is for all ipads to be able to sync a particular calendar on exchange!
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 *steps back out of the corner having realised he wasn't quite going insane .. well not on this point anyway* I know it's exchange 2007 that we're running, but I think you can do the same with Exchange 2003 so if you have all your e-mails set up, it's worth while seeing if you can a) add the iPads to the exchange system and then b) if it gives you the calendar option, and then playing about to get the settings right for the calendar you want to sync ..
arthur231283 Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 I have been looking at this. I think the best way of doing it would be to create an account for shared calendars or an account per calendar. Then the users will need to add that account to their Ipad but only sync the calendar (Shown in aptproductions screen shot). So in your case create this new account then copy of contents of the current shared calendar into it. Hope that makes sense
marvin Posted June 10, 2011 Author Posted June 10, 2011 This makes sense but the only problem i can think of is that we use a self issued certificate for our exchange server and i know that apple products don't like these type of securities... Please correct me if i am wrong or whether there is a way around this?
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 This makes sense but the only problem i can think of is that we use a self issued certificate for our exchange server and i know that apple products don't like these type of securities... Please correct me if i am wrong or whether there is a way around this? You're right, they don't really like them, but you can add exemptions now (a button will come up saying verify - I have a Radius server here for the WiFi and when I join an iPad (or my iPhone if I'm needing access to something and don't have a computer to hand) it just pops up with a "Not Verified" thing where you can view the Cert and click accept if you're ok with it .. I think it then stores this information unless you remove the account (or change the cert for some reason) ..
arthur231283 Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 This makes sense but the only problem i can think of is that we use a self issued certificate for our exchange server and i know that apple products don't like these type of securities... Please correct me if i am wrong or whether there is a way around this? We also use a self issued certificate. When you add the account it will give a warning and you will have to say you accept it but you only have to do this once when you set it up.
marvin Posted June 10, 2011 Author Posted June 10, 2011 I will give this a go again because I remember few months ago, this wasn't working either on the iphone or ipad!
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 I will give this a go again because I remember few months ago, this wasn't working either on the iphone or ipad! Make sure you have the latest version of iOS installed on the device to be sure ..
marvin Posted June 10, 2011 Author Posted June 10, 2011 By the way can you have an exchange account setup on the IPAD to sync calendar only but then also have your google account setup to do email and calendar at the same time? Thanks
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 By the way can you have an exchange account setup on the IPAD to sync calendar only but then also have your google account setup to do email and calendar at the same time? Thanks You can set up as many accounts as you have physical space for on your iPad .. so I don't see why it should be an issue .. I've not played with the Google sync settings though for such things .. You just have to make sure you follow the instructions on Google I'm guessing (the latest version of iOS supports multiple Exchange accounts so should be good to .. I might have a play myself actually .. lol ..) Edit: Just in case .. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252
arthur231283 Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 By the way can you have an exchange account setup on the IPAD to sync calendar only but then also have your google account setup to do email and calendar at the same time? Thanks Yes Also within calendars there is an option to select which calenders you want to view
soveryapt Posted June 10, 2011 Posted June 10, 2011 Cheers guys, been very helpful today. No worries ..
marvin Posted June 13, 2011 Author Posted June 13, 2011 Hi guys Trying this on a IPOD touch and it's having none of it! Got the latest updates for the IPOD installed and it doesn't sync the calendar or even emails and i keep getting "cannot get email - the connection to the server failed" error! Any ideas please?
elsiegee40 Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) You say you want to sync to Google Calendar to the iPad? We use the Calengoo app at home on various iPod touches and iPhones and my HT and Bursar do too. It's good at displaying multiple calendars and isn't very expensive! It also handles you working without an internet connection, syncing when you next go into the app with a connection. Edited June 13, 2011 by elsiegee40
marvin Posted June 13, 2011 Author Posted June 13, 2011 No, i was trying to sync a user's outlook calendar on the ipod touch and it keeps giving me that error!
soveryapt Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 Hi guys Trying this on a IPOD touch and it's having none of it! Got the latest updates for the IPOD installed and it doesn't sync the calendar or even emails and i keep getting "cannot get email - the connection to the server failed" error! Any ideas please? I take it you've got it added to the wireless there and all that jazz and it's not blocked from accessing the wireless? As that would be the first thing to check, the next being that you've put all the information in correctly. The only other thing is which version of iOS have you got on there as it's only the later versions that are allow the free upgrade to the latest iOS versions, so it might have the latest version that it's able to get for itself, but if it's one of the earlier iPod Touches it might not have all the correct functionality built in .. you can view the version by going to Settings > General > About on the iPod ..
marvin Posted June 13, 2011 Author Posted June 13, 2011 Fairly new version, it is 4.3.3 (8J2). I have access to wireless via proxy here and i can browse the internet fine. The details entered are: Email: [email protected], server: mail.schoolname.leicester.sch.uk, Domain: schoolname, Username: Office, Password: ******** , Description: Exchange, User SSL: On Can you see any problems here?
soveryapt Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 Fairly new version, it is 4.3.3 (8J2). I have access to wireless via proxy here and i can browse the internet fine. The details entered are: Email: [email protected], server: mail.schoolname.leicester.sch.uk, Domain: schoolname, Username: Office, Password: ******** , Description: Exchange, User SSL: On Can you see any problems here? Ah well, latest version you can get at the moment (unless you're a developer for Apple .. lol) I know here the detail I would enter would be: Email: [email protected] Server: outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk Domain: N/A Username: as per e-mail address Password: ******** so it's whether you have the username right and all the jazz. Do you have a desktop client setup somewhere you can check the required settings on etc? Is the exchange hosted in school or with your LEA?
marvin Posted June 13, 2011 Author Posted June 13, 2011 Exchange is hosted in school. You can access the account via outlook and OWA as well as calendar shared with all staff, just not sure why the ipod is doing this. Tried a hard reset but no luck at all!
soveryapt Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 The only other thing I can think of is that it's trying to browse via the Proxy and not doing successfully or something like that .. do the settings work on another one of your iPads etc?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now