Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

As regards as setting up a server for thin clients i wondered what is recommended good practice?

 

Should the server in question as well as having remote users configured also host the client files as well as maybe running the tftpd server or RIS?

 

Is it possible good practice to have a second RIS server on the domain that just deals with these prestaged computers?

 

All suggestions welcome please?

Posted

I'd be wary of running RIS on a thin client server. I was doing this I'd want a seperate machine for running RIS on.

 

If it was just TFFP, I'd probably use my DHCP server though. As the services are related.

Posted

What i mean is.....I have a server already running RIS, i was thinking of adding a second RIS server on the domain, that will onlt deal with the thin client stuff. If i prestage the thincleitn pc in AD then change the manages server to the pxe boot file(articcle on thinstation) then i could just use a second RIS server to manage the prestaged PC's only.

Even though at the monet it would be overkill for 45 thin clients ;-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...