Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

We have an Exchange Server setup here, I wasn't the one who set it up but apparently it's setup as "A Hub Transport Backup" server, it works (Temperamental) and all mail works internally, However, we are going to build and implement a proper exchange solution as currently this setup keeps falling over.

 

The current server is:

Server 2008 R2

Exchange Server 2010.

 

My Questions are thus, Whats the easiest way to migrate all the users and the mailboxes over to a brand new server ?? Which will have AD installed and be on the same network as the current exchange server.

 

Also, how can we set the mail servers up so that we can access and use the mail externally ?

 

I have done a quick Google but it all looks confusing and I cant find a proper way to actually move everything over to a new server under the versions we are using.

 

Thanks in Advance EduGeekers!

Posted

when you say have AD installed do you simply mean the snapin or do you mean it being a DC - if you mean dc then don't!

 

its pretty simple to add a new exchange server - install exchange and configure to how you want - then get a mailbox of a user right click and select move - then move to where you would like it (i.e which mailbox database on which server)

 

I did it with exchange 2k7 yesterday!

 

Also you will need to keep the old server online until the mailboxes have been accessed and outlook automatically reconfigured. - you can migrate while the users are logged in it justs asks them to restart outlook.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
It's on a DC, I'm just gonna look at the moving of mailboxes then, DO you mean do that through the Users properties in ADUC ?

 

nope through exchange management console - you may want to wait for somebody with exchange 2010 to pop past to confirm it is the same as 2k7

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
nope through exchange management console - you may want to wait for somebody with exchange 2010 to pop past to confirm it is the same as 2k7

 

Cool, In the management console for exchange, I get server config and recipient config the under both of those I get Mail Box with two panes, with Create Filter & Mail Box database but no where can I find any user mailboxes nor can I find a move option ?

 

I've just found "new local move request" so I'm guessing it's that what I need as it asks me to move it to another database..

 

Thanks

Edited by cpjitservices
Posted (edited)

http://thankyou.theweald.org.uk/exchange.jpg

 

fig 2

http://thankyou.theweald.org.uk/exchange1.jpg

Edited by glennda
  • Thanks 1
Posted

OK got your pics and I am in the place now where you are in the second image..... But which button did you click wen you right clicked the users ?? was it New Local or Remote Move request ??

 

Thanks Glendda

Posted
OK got your pics and I am in the place now where you are in the second image..... But which button did you click wen you right clicked the users ?? was it New Local or Remote Move request ??

 

Thanks Glendda

 

this is where it is different to 2k7.

 

I assume remote would be to another server and local to another database on the same server - you will need to double check.

Posted
Yep got it thanks - Just ine more question though - do we need to hav our Edge transport on another server or can it be on the same server as the Hub Transport ??

 

Should be able to have it on the same server - i do with 2k7

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Brilliant!!!! All I Need to do now is try and figure out if it's possible to do all of this whilst keeping our server which we have at the moment in it's current state so we can image it incase anything goes wrong we still have a live working server, oh and the boss wants me to keep the old server live at all times until the new one is up & running perfect - great eh!!! Can't see that happening unless anyone knows how to image the main Hard Drive which server 2008 runs on whilst it is still running server live ??
Posted
aslong as you have another physical box to move it to (or a vm) then you should be able to do it live. The user is just prompted with a message saying something along the lines of the exchange administrator has made a change with requires you to restart outlook - with an option for restart now!
Posted

1. You cant have edge on the same server. This is true for 2007 and 2010/

2. The mailbox move is straight forward, if you're using PF DB then make sure this is setup too before you start movng the users. I would do replicate any PF content first before moving users.

3. You dont need an edge, it really depends on your env, i.e howmessgae flow into and out of your Org.

4. If you;re using message cleaning/screening, via a 3rd party then it's not mandortary to have an edge.

5. Edge can only be installed in a workgroup, it cannot be part of your internal domain.

6. If you intend to access email remotely, either OWA or OA, then you need to setup your externalnamespace and configure certificates and your firewalls.

7. When moving mailboxes, bear in mind your log transactions will increase so make sure you have enough disk space and perform backups to clear down logs.

8. Plan your mailbox DB and roles, seems like you have one server, so put all roles (mbx,hub and cas) on here.

9. If you want HA then configure DAG and CAS arrays.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
not sure how your incoming mails are routed, but if you manage your MX record, dont forget to update to point to the new server, in fact, maybe create to, one for each while you do the migrations.
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...