captaincharisma Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 I started a new job about a month ago, we have suite of iMacs (Music and art departments). At the minute if anything goes wrong we get outside help which costs a bomb. The new plan is to train someone so we can support onsite, that person is me (not sure whether thats a good thing or not?!?) So I have asked if I can take an iMac home with me for a few weeks to familiarize myself with it. I can navigate myself around it ok and know the very basics, is there anything I should be looking at in particualar??? Thanks
taff Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 Is it the software/apps that you need help with or the hardware? Have you thought of iMac for Dummies (no offence intended!) 1
mac_shinobi Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 Or is it more then networking side ie getting them intergrated onto an AD network ?
GrumbleDook Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 In the Mac forum there are a number of guides, helpful links and darned good advice from some fantastic members. 1
captaincharisma Posted May 24, 2011 Author Posted May 24, 2011 Well I have never used any software on a mac, only basic web browsing and email etc need to look into networking and hardware too as I will be the go to guy at some point!
X-13 Posted May 24, 2011 Posted May 24, 2011 If they're in the process of training you, I'm guessing if anything fails they'll still call in the other guy? Why not ask them what sort of things you should be learning?
captaincharisma Posted May 24, 2011 Author Posted May 24, 2011 Yes at the minute if anything terrible did happen (touch wood) then we call up someone to come and take a look. I am going on a basic iMac training course in June, hopefully that will sort me out a bit.
GrumbleDook Posted May 25, 2011 Posted May 25, 2011 Depending on where you are in the country there may be other local schools using Macs who you can talk with, or CLC (or whatever they morph into in your area) who might be using Macs. Also find out where you local Apple Regional Training Centre is and have a chat with them too.
GrumbleDook Posted May 25, 2011 Posted May 25, 2011 There are two things to think about with this too ... are you looking to be a competent user and able to support other users as such, or are you looking to be a competent administrator ... or both? I would happily recommend iCreate as a magazine with lots of helpful tutorials and guides on a range of Apple products, as well as the OS. The publishers also do some good one-off guides, for Macs, iPads, iLife, etc ... it is worth looking at those too.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now