doofusdog Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 We have a 4 disk RAID 10 array of 500GB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 on an Intel SRCS16. The controller is SATA 1 One of the drives has failed. Beeps and a very grindy noise. How long to rebuild after I replace the disk? I'd prefer to do an offline rebuild.. I just need to know is it an evening job or a weekend one? I have done it once before about 4 years ago and the my memory is a bit fuzzy. thanks! Craig
SYNACK Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 One 500GB drive is probably an overnight build depending on the speed of the array. I would say that an offline build is much safer and quicker with a lower end controller like the ones that the intel boards contain. It will almost certainly complete overnight short of another hardware issue occouring. 1
mjs_mjs Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 I rebuilt my raid 1 array on an SIS controller (less than £30 jobby) over night. I did the same array in online mode and it took ni on a day to complete.
doofusdog Posted May 10, 2011 Author Posted May 10, 2011 hmmm I'm going to give it a test run on my other identical and not so important server.. the SRCS16 card was $300-400 USD so not a cheapy.. I'll let you know
SYNACK Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 hmmm I'm going to give it a test run on my other identical and not so important server.. the SRCS16 card was $300-400 USD so not a cheapy.. I'll let you know Ah, fair enough, I just hear intel and RAID in the same sentence and it gives me a bit of a shiver given the experiences that I have had with intel raid stuff.
doofusdog Posted May 10, 2011 Author Posted May 10, 2011 (edited) from 1% to 2% took 10 minutes = 16.3 hours for 100%.. so it should be finished by about lunchtime tomorrow given I started at 8.25pm (ish) so that would be Fri 6pm til around 10am Saturday for example I'm doing an offline build with the rate set to 100% I'll wait til 3% and see if it's constant.. OK it is!! So it's around 70Mb/s which sounds slow! Craig Edited May 10, 2011 by doofusdog
SYNACK Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 from 1% to 2% took 10 minutes = 16.3 hours for 100%.. so it should be finished by about lunchtime tomorrow given I started at 8.25pm (ish) so that would be Fri 6pm til around 10am Saturday for example I'm doing an offline build with the rate set to 100% I'll wait til 3% and see if it's constant.. OK it is!! So it's around 70Mb/s which sounds slow! Craig 70MB/s is about right for a SATA drive on a SATA1 bus. It is limited by the write rate of the destination drive so that kind of speed sounds about right.
doofusdog Posted May 11, 2011 Author Posted May 11, 2011 nah 70 Mbit/s so slow. but I've googled around an that seems about right for a RAID rebuild on 4 year old hardware.. 91% done now. Craig
SYNACK Posted May 11, 2011 Posted May 11, 2011 nah 70 Mbit/s so slow. but I've googled around an that seems about right for a RAID rebuild on 4 year old hardware.. 91% done now. Craig Damn thats slow, that works out to about 8.5MB/s, I can get 35MB/s off an old single sata drive in my home PC so I'm guessing that its rebuilding does a lot of extra checking even when ramped up to 100%. At least its almost done now.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now