bewlay51 Posted April 25, 2011 Posted April 25, 2011 Hello All I am testing Multipoint 2011 and have now got to the stage where it is part of my 2008 R2 domain and desktop/start menu redirection and GPO’s are all working. I have a number of shortcuts on the desktop that are used to access programs or shared folders. For example the shortcut to access the public folder on P: drive is:- C:\Windows\explorer.exe p: These are all part of the managed desktop and work fine on a normal Windows 7 / XP pro PC. On multipoint if one of these .lnk shortcuts is accessed a security warning pops up asking me to conform I want to run the .lnk file. This happens even with UAC set “Never Notify” Is there a way around this or perhaps a different way of doing the shortcuts on the desktops?? Thanks John
EduTech Posted April 25, 2011 Posted April 25, 2011 Hello All I am testing Multipoint 2011 and have now got to the stage where it is part of my 2008 R2 domain and desktop/start menu redirection and GPO’s are all working. I have a number of shortcuts on the desktop that are used to access programs or shared folders. For example the shortcut to access the public folder on P: drive is:- C:\Windows\explorer.exe p: These are all part of the managed desktop and work fine on a normal Windows 7 / XP pro PC. On multipoint if one of these .lnk shortcuts is accessed a security warning pops up asking me to conform I want to run the .lnk file. This happens even with UAC set “Never Notify” Is there a way around this or perhaps a different way of doing the shortcuts on the desktops?? Thanks John Out of curiosity can't you just have a shortcut for P:\ James. 1
plexer Posted April 25, 2011 Posted April 25, 2011 I would have thought so or a shortcut containing the unc to p: Ben 1
Arthur Posted April 25, 2011 Posted April 25, 2011 if one of these .lnk shortcuts is accessed a security warning pops up asking me to conform I want to run the .lnk file. Is this the box you are seeing? http://i.min.us/ilnsoG.png If so, you just need to add the name of your MultiPoint server to Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites list (or alternatively your domain to cover more than one server e.g. file://*.domain.sch.uk). For instructions on how to do this via Group Policy click here. 1
bewlay51 Posted April 26, 2011 Author Posted April 26, 2011 Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check out the issues with trusted sites later on and let you know how I go on. The screen shot from Arthur's post is the problem I am having. John
bewlay51 Posted April 28, 2011 Author Posted April 28, 2011 Hi All I have now check out the fix that Arthur suggested and configured the setting on the default domain policy on the 2008 server. It did not work, so I guess I have done something wrong. The problem does not happen to users with Admin rights - it just the students and staff - I did change one shortcut to the public drive and this is now set to \\server\public and it work ok. It just the other shortcuts that have been created by copying the program shortcuts from the startmenu on a PC. These work OK for normal Win7 and XP users - the issue is only on Multipoint 2011. There must be a fix somewhere... Regards, John
bewlay51 Posted May 3, 2011 Author Posted May 3, 2011 Hello all, This has fixed the problem. Replace the word "server" with the name of your server. Regards, John Adding \\server in the intranet sites via GPO works for me. No more security warnings is raised. Steps for Win 2008 R2 : 1/Choose the GPO you want to apply the new security setttings 2/In User Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Internet Explorer Maintenance/Security Click on Security Zones and Content Ratings Choose "Import the current ..." Click on Modify Settings On the Internet Properties Security Tab, select "Local Intranet" and click the "sites" button. Add \\server to sites it will be displayed as file://server force a GP update with gpupdate.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now