Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

 

Our yearbook and newspaper department just bought 20 copies of Photoshop CS5. Wonderful.

 

I went to load it, and I get error 213:11 on launch from a limited user account. Local admins work fine. But...I would prefer not to do that if I can avoid it.

 

We're running XP SP3 in our lab.

 

I found this post: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educational-software/68649-anybody-installed-adobe-cs5-yet.html

 

And this one: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/av-multimedia-related/61914-adobe-cs5-problem-running-standard-user.html

 

And tried to set the permissions as specified:

[C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe]

Everyone=0x1301BF

 

[C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD]

Everyone=0x1301BF

 

[C:\Program Files\Adobe]

Everyone=0x1301BF

 

I set them, log off as domain admin, then log on as a limited user. The permissions for program files \ adobe stayed (Everyone - full control)

 

But the other 2 directories had their Everyone permissions reset !?!?

 

I think I remember reading somewhere that Windows has a program that runs on a schedule that resets permissions to directories ...but I can't for the life of me find anything on it.

 

Anyone having this issue? I'm going nuts.

 

Thanks as always.

Damian

LCPS Technology

Edited by LCPSWolf
Forgot info on OS
Posted

DrCheese,

 

I think you've got it - the error you posted from that link with CS4 is the same as what I'm seeing, plus or minus an error #. I had a question though. You say in your other post:

 

The trick to solving this is to add the restricted user/group to the ACL and then remove the "change permissions" right from the file. Applications will then open fine with no issues..

 

...Specifically, "add the restricted user/group to the ACL" Can you clarify for me what that means?

 

Thanks so much!

Posted
After reading that a couple times, i'm trying to set "everyone" as full control to the Adobe PCD folder, then remove the "change permissions" right via Advanced Permissions. Restarting, will see what happens.
Posted (edited)

OMG. You got it DrCheese!

 

I had to do the same to:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\adobe\SLStore

from this link: Permission problems writing licensing data - Creative Suite 5

 

Everyone - full control minus Change Permissions.

 

And just for clarity, also:

c:\program files\common files\adobe\adobe PCD

 

Everyone - full control minus Change Permissions.

 

OMG I'm so excited. Thank you thank you thank you!

Damian

Edited by LCPSWolf
missed the path for adobe PCD
Posted
The trick to solving this is to add the restricted user/group to the ACL and then remove the "change permissions" right from the file. Applications will then open fine with no issues.

Hiya,

Yup that's worded a bit bizzare. You need to give the users you want "full control" to the folder and then do a "Deny" on "change permissions"

 

But yeah, it REALLY annoyed me when we first got CS4. I had to sit there with process monitor watching what the programs tried to access on startup before I worked out what it was.

What bugged me even more, is that the PCD stuff is related to the licensing part of it. If I'd cracked the software I wouldn't have had the issue in the first place, instead I as a legitimate customer suffered.

  • 5 months later...
Posted

Hi All,

 

I too am having problems with Limited Users accounts trying to start Adobe CS5.5 (Web Premium) programs. This is despite doing the suggested permission changes in Group Policy (using %alluserprofiles%, %systemroot%, %programfiles% etc). Our various problems include the following:-

 

- Photoshop CS5.1 crashes after trying to do something with the scriptingsupport.li file.

- Illustrator CS5.1 complains that a number of plug-ins failed, but the application does start.

- Fireworks CS5.1 works!

- Dreamweaver CS5.5 shows the Splash Screen (as it does with other Adobe apps) but then disappears again.

 

Note that in our school, the C: drive is hidden for all student logins(' Limited User Accounts). Profiles are user.dat(s), but all profiles are wiped every time an ICT Suite desktop (or notebook) is rebooted.

 

Any help is appreciated!

-- Many Thanks

xo

  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

 

We were getting similar errors after installing Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5 Design Premium on Windows XP Professional SP3 and attempting to run the software as a standard user:

 

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5

Application starts but immediately closes shortly afterwards

Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5

Application crashes on startup and displays the following errors:

'Adobe Flash CS5.5 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

Error signature:

AppName: flash.exe AppVer: 11.5.1.349 ModName: flbridge.dll

ModVer: 9.0.0.0 Offset: 000162d0

Adobe Illustrator CS5.1

Application displays the following error on startup:

Adobe Illustrator

-----------------

Error loading plugins.

AISaveForWeb.aip

DxfDwg.aip

PNGFileFormat.aip

[ ] Don't Show Again

Adobe InDesign CS5.5

Application crashes on startup and displays the following errors:

'InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

Error signature:

AppName: indesign.exe AppVer: 7.5.2.318 ModName: support for javascript.rpln

ModVer: 7.5.0.142 Offset: 000361a8

Adobe Photoshop CS5.1

Application crashes on startup and displays the following errors:

'Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'

Error signature:

AppName: photoshop.exe AppVer: 12.1.0.0 ModName: scriptingsupport.8li

ModVer: 10.0.0.0 Offset: 000d1a2e

 

 

In each of these cases, I found eventually that the problem was because the user account that I was testing with was a member of the 'Domain Guests' group on the domain. (Other posts online seem to indicate that the same problem may occur if accounts are set up to use mandatory profiles). In every case removing the user from the Domain Guests group and then logging on again resolved the problem.

 

I have yet to find a workaround for this issue which does not involve removing some of the functionality from this software. Try removing the user account from the 'Guests' and/or 'Domain Guests' group and see if this helps.

Edited by Minkus
Posted
I get the scriptingsupport error opening up Photoshop 32 bit. However, I'm only rolling out CS5.5 to 64 bit Windows 7 workstations (which will be on everything before long) - and if I run the 64 bit version of Photoshop it loads okay. Not seeing problems on the other apps, and that's with super mandatory profiles and the student users are well locked down. I haven't made any changes to \All Users yet.
Posted
For the scriptingsupport issue, if you go to the Photoshop plugins folder (I think it's plugins, it's one in there) and rename the file so it's ~scriptingsupport.8li the plugin will be disabled and photoshop should then load successfully. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...