Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

quick question, can smoothwall scan the contents of .zip .tar.gz files and block according to whats inside them?

eg - allow zipped word/html etc but block .exe .bat

Posted

also, anybody else find that when logged into smoothwall schoolguardian as a filtered student the last character of the html source is dropped?

 

eg last line of google page is:


rather than
[code]

Posted

Answer to #1 is "I don't think so" for anything but Gzipped html, though the AV scanner will inflate archives.

 

Answer to #2 is "Hang on, i'll ring technical and see what those buggers know"

Posted

Geoff: Depends what the good Mr. Nerd would like to get out of this, TBH :)

 

I can't promise that every idea will get implemented, but they all get taken down and end up loitering on a task list with dates & priorities. Better still, those that directly involve dansguardian WILL get released under the open source licence.

Posted
Geoff: Depends what the good Mr. Nerd would like to get out of this, TBH :)

 

I can't promise that every idea will get implemented, but they all get taken down and end up loitering on a task list with dates & priorities. Better still, those that directly involve dansguardian WILL get released under the open source licence.

Well speaking for myself I could definitely see a use for this... It seems plenty of virii are available in various archive forms so it would be useful to be able to scan them before passing them on... Especially as we're seeing the joys of how some sites can be compromised with images.. How long before a "trusted" site suffers an attack that compromses their downloads..

 

Just a thought.. Course standard desktop AV should handle it anyway so I may have gone round in a circle... :oops:

Posted
Smoothwall already scans for viruses - if you allow archives in the fist place. I was wondering if specific files could be dis-allowed in the compressed archive specified within the smoothwall interface. I spoke to Tom this afternoon and he said they'd look at the viability of this for future versions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...