Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a CC4 network with colour magic installed on all computers. When users double click on a picture file, rather then opening it using the colour magic, I would like to open them using windows picture viewer.

 

How can I change this without having to go to all the computers individually. Many thanks for your help. Regards, Afzal.

Posted (edited)

I believe you can write a registry file to change the defaults.

 

Make the .reg file, save it to P:/ [RMPublic], in System32 edit autoexnt.bat to run the .reg file at startup.

 

Distribute the modded Autoexnt.bat with RMTutor.

 

 

Remember to save a copy of the origonal Autoexnt.bat incase it breaks. [if all else fails restore image]

 

 

Example:

 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .xls \ OpenWithList

 

 

That's where the "open with" default is for .xls files.

 

change .xls to whatever file extension you want.

Edited by X-13
Posted
That would work for normal applications, except I'm trying to make the defualt program windows photoviewer which runs off .dlls and not an .exe like a conventional program. Any idea? Much appreciated for the help. Regards,
Posted

Do you mean Microsoft picture and fax viewer?

 

I know what to run to make a blank version of it appear... It'd just be a case of making that into shortcut or something and seeing if it works.

 

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Posted

You could change the default action when viewing the pictures to "Open" using a registry fragment. This will make them open again in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\jpegfile\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile\shell]
@="open"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...